Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

BigAl's winter warmer

Old 05-24-2002, 02:48 AM
BigAl's winter warmer

You guys in the northern hemisphere are heading into summer, but down here at the bottom of the world we're heading into winter (yeah 25C daytime temps ), so here's my curry recipe.

500g cubed meat (beef or lamb)
1 large onion sliced
2 tblsp oil (I use olive oil)
2-4 heaped tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp dried ginger (or 1 grated root)
1/2 tsp dried coriander
10-15 dried fennel seeds
pinch ground fennel (or 1/4 tsp garam masala or whatever spice you'd like to try)
1 tin (450g) chopped tomatoes
1 tsp apricot jam
2 tblsp fruit chutney

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and cook on low heat until soft (don't let onion burn). Once onion is soft, move to one side in the saucepan. Sprinkle spices on top of onion, and sprinkle fennel seeds alongside onion in remaining oil. Cook, covered, on low heat until the spices are thoroughly moistened by the condensation from the lid (a see thru glass lid is very useful here). You may have to add a few drops of water if the condensation doesn't do its job.

Add the meat to the open area of the pan, and brown, still on low heat. Stir the onion/spice mixture and meat together. Add the tomatoes and stir. Simmer until the meat is tender. Add water, if necessary, to prevent your curry from drying out.

Add jam and chutney and stir into the curry.

Serve on a bed of rice. (Can't say how many this serves as it depends on your appetite.)

Vegetarian variation
Instead of the meat, use diced potatoes and cauliflower:
At the stage where the meat is added above, add a cup of water together with the tomatoes and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are soft, and then add the caulifower and cook for a further 10 mins (I like the cauliflower to be a bit crunchy). Then add the jam and chutney.

remember with curries, if it's too hot (tastewise), you can add yoghurt to "cool" it down. also, don't drink water/beer/wine to nullify this hotness - rather drink milk. (I prefer beer though )
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 11:17 AM
This sounds really good! Are chutneys a big thing in South Africa? I always remember my father in law telling us about how good the chutney is whenever he goes to South Africa....that and the wine!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2002, 04:46 AM
Chutneys are pretty big here Greg. They were introduced by the slaves from Malaya in the late 1600s. I find it a nice easy way to add an interesting bite to several dishes. (Will pick up on your wine thread soon.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Your recipe sounds like its on its way to a vindaloo ! Have you any recipes/prep for biltong ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2002, 02:20 AM
Mebbe I should post my vindaloo recipe too!

I have a biltong recipe somewhere, although I've never tried it as I find it easier to buy the stuff from my local butcher. Will post it when I find it. I believe there is a South African butcher in London who makes biltong and boerewors (lit: farmers sausage) - a thick meaty sausage where the meat is coarsely minced and mixed with spices such as coriander. Great on a BarBQ.

(Biltong is a kind of jerky.)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook