Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

Grilled New Potato Salad

Old 07-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Grilled New Potato Salad

I was looking for a "different" potato salad and found this one in my Field of Greens cookbook. I made it tonight and it is soooo good! Enjoy!

Grilled New Potato Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Summer Beans and Basil

2 pounds new potatoes
Light olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 pound fresh summer beans: green, yellow wax, green or yellow Romano
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes: Sweet 100 or pear tomatoes
1 handful of frisee or salad greens (optional)
Basil-Garlic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Champagne vinegar
12 Nicoise or Gaeta olives

Prepare the grill.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the potatoes in a baking dish with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cover and roast until tender, about 35 to 40 minutes. Set aside to cool. Cut the potatoes in halves, or quarters if large, then slide them onto skewers for grilling. (Skewers won't be necessary if the grill grates are close together.)

While the potatoes are roasting, remove the stem ends from the beans and cut them in half diagonally or leave whole if they're small. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Drop the beans into the water and cook until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes, depending on their size. Rinse under cold water and set aside to drain. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or leave whole if small. Wash the salad greens if you're using them and dry them in a spinner. Make the vinaigrette.

Place the potatoes on the grill, cut side down, and grill until they're golden and crisp and defined grill marks appear. Slide the grilled potatoes from the skewers and toss with the beans, cherry tomatoes, and vinaigrette. Adjust the seasoning, if needed, with a splash of Champagne vinegar and salt and pepper. Loosely arrange the greens on a platter, spoon the vegetables over, and garnish with the olives.

Serves 4.

Notes from Jeanie:
1. The summer has been really hot and we don't have air conditioning, so there was no way I was going to roast the potatoes to begin with. I chose to cook them (whole) in my pressure cooker before grilling. That seemed to work just fine - I brushed with olive oil before putting on the grill.
2. I pressure cooked the potatoes in the morning and then stored in the refrigerator until dinner time, when I took them out and grilled them. That helped immensely to keep the heat down in the house and seemed to work just fine in terms of the recipe.
3. I looked in three stores today for fresh summer beans and couldn't find any. So, I substituted a small zucchini and red pepper (both cut in half lengthwise). I grilled both on the grill just until the grill lines appeared before slicing and adding to the salad.
4. The recipe notes that if you don't have time to grill, skip the grilling and just use the roasted potatoes instead. However, it's the flavor of the grilled potatoes that really makes this salad, so you won't really be doing the recipe justice.
5. I'm not sure this would work with beans, but with the zucchini and red pepper, the addition of a chopped/sliced avocado would have been wonderful!

Basil-Garlic Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar [I used white wine vinegar]
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped

Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Last edited by jeaniesa; 07-10-2002 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie, you could send a sample my way! Sounds good. Thanks.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook