RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

Vegetarian Recipies

Old 08-11-2002, 12:38 AM
Janitor

I'm gonna have to find a way to get Amazon to let ppl donate veggie food!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakaleena
A gringo maybe, but not a snob...
I feel like a gringo! Hey, for half the cost of a can of sauce I can make a batch of the good stuff... I'm a gringo on a budget!

Of course, so much of what we think of as "Mexican" or "Southwestern" cuisine is really derived from Native Americans...like chilies and corn tortillas. The interesting thing I'm discovering about Santa Fe is how deeply rooted in Indian and Spanish culture it is...not so much Mexican. Walking around downtown Santa Fe (If you can block out the hundreds of tourist shops) feels like an old European city in some ways.

My only exposure to this type of cooking prior to moving here was Taco Bell...and not so good Mexican restaurants. Now that I have tasted things like fresh Guacamole and homemade tortillas I have been trying to make the recipes as often as I can! ....although, I doubt I'll be rolling out fresh tortillas anytime soon.

On an entirely different, but still vegetarian note, does anyone know of a good chicken substitute? I want to make an Indian dish (chicken korma) for my brother who is a strict vegetarian but I need some sort of chicken substitute that will hold up to long, slow cooking and absorb flavors well. Anyone know of a good product or recipe for something?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 01:04 PM

Quote:
does anyone know of a good chicken substitute? I want to make an Indian dish (chicken korma) for my brother who is a strict vegetarian but I need some sort of chicken substitute that will hold up to long, slow cooking and absorb flavors well.
I've found largish jacketed potatoes work well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 01:13 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by ravenmd
well Ed..... can you talk her into sharing the recipie for the killer soup? I love lentil soup! Spicier the better.
I'll see what I can do.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 01:30 PM

Quote:
- 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seed. (I usually crush it a bit in a coffee grinder to release the flavor)
gee, Greg that's taking the easy way out. I use a mortar and pestle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardamom.jpg (36.6 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl
gee, Greg that's taking the easy way out. I use a mortar and pestle
Nice! Unfortunately a good mortar and pestle was a bit more than I could afford...the cheap coffee grinder does the trick, although I would not recommend actually using it to grind coffee...unless you want your chicken curry to taste like the mornings brew!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 05:01 PM

In China Town in San Francisco we ate at a Vegitarian Chinese restaurant and I had Chicken fried rice. They used an extremely firm tofu and I swear to God you would not know that wasn't chicken. I have tried to find tofu that firm but don't seem to be able to. The extra firm is not as firm as what they used in that meal. It was hard enough to simulate the texture of chicken. It's about the only way you will simulate Chicken and stay vegitarian. If you do try and use it make sure you press the liquid out of the block before cutting into it. We usually do this by putting it between 2 saucers with something heavy on top until the liquid drains out. Then cut it in peices and cook it. It should hold up to long time simmering but I can't say for sure on that point. Maybe someone else can.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 06:31 PM

meat subsitute

There is something I buy at local healthfood stores simply called "texturized protein. It is comes dried, sort of like pasta only very porus and is made from soy. If you do find it, here is a delicious way to fix it that has texture so much like chicken it's amazing.

Drop it into boiling water and simmer for about 8 minutes. (until the center no longer feels hard.) Drain well on paper towel.

In a large bowl mix 3 tblsp of veg oil, 3 tblsp of tamari, and one tblsp of vegetable broth powder. Throw in the protein and mix so it is evenly coated. No spread it on a baking dish and bake in a medium oven just until it starts to brown a bit. It's delicious. Try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 07:42 PM

Yes, that's exactly what it was. It was textured just like chicken would be. Thanks for that tidbit of info. My husband has been looking for that stuff and as I said it's not the same as the firm tofus you buy. I'll have to look for that.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 08:39 PM

DJ, Raven - That sounds good! ...something like that is exactly what I am looking for. Tofu is great in a quick stir fry but I doubt it will hold up in certain cooking. (like Indian!).

Al - I'm planning a big meal for later in the week and am already using potatoes in a side dish. My brother (the vegetarian) makes wonderful quesadillas with potatoes....I'll have to get him to write the recipe down.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook