Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

Vegetarian Recipies

Old 08-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Originally posted by ravenmd
well Ed..... can you talk her into sharing the recipie for the killer soup? I love lentil soup! Spicier the better.

Originally posted by Ed_L
I'll see what I can do.

Sorry, but the lentil soup recipe has somehow been lost. No wonder we haven't had it for a while! In it's place, I'll post a recipe for broccoli (sp.?) soup. I actually like it better than the lentil soup, but both were very good.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 08:50 PM

Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 4 1/2 hr (includes marinating)

For carrots
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 lb medium carrots (8)

For tapenade
1 1/4 cups green olives (6 to 7 oz) such as Cerignola or picholine, pitted
3 tablespoons drained bottled capers, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 flat anchovy fillet, chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

For sandwiches
12 slices good-quality pumpernickel sandwich bread
6 oz soft mild goat cheese (3/4 cup) at room temperature

Special equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer

Prepare carrots:
Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt, and oil in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.

Halve carrots crosswise on a long diagonal, then, starting from diagonal ends, cut into 1/16-inch-thick slices using slicer. Cook carrots in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water (when salting water for cooking, use 1 tablespoon of salt for every 4 quarts of water) until crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Drain well in a colander and immediately toss with dressing. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then marinate, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours.

Make tapenade and assemble sandwiches:
Pulse olives with capers, parsley, anchovy, zest, lemon juice, and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped, then scrape down side of bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulsing motor, add oil in a slow stream and continue to pulse until mixture is finely chopped (do not pulse to a paste).

Spread tapenade on 6 slices of bread and goat cheese on remaining 6 slices, then make sandwiches with carrots.

Cooks' notes:
• Carrots can marinate up to 2 days.
• Tapenade can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.

Makes 6 sandwiches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Alternative to chicken...
Try finding seitan. It is made from wheat gluten and VERY realistic in texture. This is what a lot of veggie asian restaurants use.

They also use the textured vegetable protein that ravenmd recommended. Just be sure to find dried "chunks" of it rather than small granuals. The granuals are a great substitute for ground beef in chili recipes, but I think you'd be disappointed with them as a chicken substitute.

DJ - there is a firm tofu called "nigiri tofu" that is very, very firm and has almost no water that comes out when you put weight on it to drain it. It holds up very well in cooking. When using extra firm tofu, I do the same as you and drain it a bit with weights on top before throwing it into the dish I'm making. That way, it's like a sponge and absorbs the cooking liquid (with the flavor) back in. It does become somewhat "soft" again though and nothing like a chewy chicken texture. That doesn't mean it's bad - in fact I really like it. But, if you want to go for the chicken texture, then try either seitan or textured vegetable protein.

You should be able to find seitan, TVP & nigari tofu (made by White Wave) in a good natural foods store.

Hope this helps. Sounds like a great dinner Greg!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 12:30 AM
Try also baked tofu, comes smoked or plain, various flavors as well. But the closest I've seen to chicken texture is the soy chunks sold dry in a bag. So realistic I doublechecked the ingredients.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks Jeanie and Doug. I think that is what I will look for because the taste was fantastic. I could definately substitute meat for that stuff no problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Just be sure to find dried "chunks" of it rather than small granuals.

Yes Jeanie, thanks for mentioning that. What I buy is large chunks.. about bite size. .. like chicken nuggets.

I've also added sesame seeds and various spices to them before baking. Quite versatile and can later be used in stir fries and other recipes to substitute any meat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 03:39 PM

This is a recipie traditionally done with chicken but I was given this vegetarian version by an Indian friend. She never gave me any AMOUNTS, but just told me.. judge it according to the number of people it's for. If you cook like I do you can wing it. It always seems to work beautifully.

Steam basmati rice. (enough for the amount of people)

Saute onions
fresh grated ginger
ground corriander
ground cumin

Cook all of this (except rice) for a few minutes until it is a paste. When paste is ready, add Biriyani masala (a spice mix you can get in ethnic grocery stores).
also add:
2 tsp (or more) split almonds, raisins, cashews

In a large casserole put one layer of white basmati and then one layer of the paste mixture (all of it).
Then add another layer of kidney beans, chick peas, lentils or other meat subsitute.

Mix 1/2 cup of milk with a pinch of saffron. Stir it into the 2nd half of the basmati to make it very yellow. Spread this over the top.

split almonds
desicated cocoanut
deep fried potatoes (little cubes)
fried onions (very brown)
Bake until quite hot.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook