RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

Snowcream

Old 02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Janitor

Snowcream

Watching the snow fall outside (for the second day straight) reminds me of how my mom used to make snowcream for us. She'd simmer condensed milk (or more likely, "milnot", she loved milnot), sugar, and vanilla, then we'd bring in big bowls of snow and she'd mix them together.

She was always very careful about making sure we used clean snow, and we could never use the first snow of the season ("it's dirty, but it cleans the air so the next snow is clean").
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2003, 11:25 PM

Doug...my mom did EXACTLY the same thing! Last week I asked my husband to see if the store had some Milnot - he had never heard of it so I had to go into all this detail about what it was (Iwasn't sure), and what it was used for ....etc. I have been having trouble matching the taste of some of mom's recipes and discovered that sometimes I have to use the same brands, thus "Parkay" margarine or "Milnot"! (rather than butter or cream) - my husband is appalled but goes back for seconds!

I grew up in Oklahoma - did you grow up in Missouri? Check out the Milnot history:

http://www.milnotmilk.com/history.htm

Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Janitor

I grew up in southern Illinois and Missouri, so I'm very familiar with the Milnot history (and I'm still a Chilliman fan, even though I haven't touched Milnot in decades).

And the old brands do sometimes make a difference. On a lark, I recently switched to Plochmann's mustard, since I remembered the bottles from when I grew up. Sure enough, the taste brought back memories and now I'm looking for even more old brands we used to use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM

Red face Wow

I have never even heard of it...

Sounds like that crushed ice with syrup...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Janitor

That would be a snow-cone, a very different concept (but brings back memories of summer)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 AM

Snow cream... been a long time since I've had any, not sure how Mom used to make it. I'll have to get her recipe and try it again next time we get some snow. I'm from Kentucky and we havn't had any good snows in quite a few years, except this year. We had around 12 inches two days before Christmas and yes you never ate the first snow, but what Mom didn't know never hurt her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 AM

Wink My Mum...

God bless her, she use to tell us that eating snow would give us bellyache, so sadly we never got to try this dessert!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 08:04 AM

I'm sorry but in this day and age, i would be reluctant to eat anything that that had fallen out the sky, unless of course, a shotgun was used in the process......gotta love them Pigeons !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Watching the snow fall outside (for the second day straight) reminds me of how my mom used to make snowcream for us. She'd simmer condensed milk (or more likely, "milnot", she loved milnot), sugar, and vanilla, then we'd bring in big bowls of snow and she'd mix them together.

She was always very careful about making sure we used clean snow, and we could never use the first snow of the season ("it's dirty, but it cleans the air so the next snow is clean").

Never seen snow but I'm wondering for us in the hot states.... would ice smooshed to death with a hammer work? That sounds delicious!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Janitor

I doubt it, but you could probably slowly freeze the milk, vanilla, and sugar while stirring it. That sounds good, too

(actually, I've tried several times to simulate snow, it never works)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook