RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE presenter & topic requests

Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE presenter requests

@Flashtones,
I've worked on some of Jim Haefner's stuff. I don't know how much he does in-house, but I have personally worked a several images on his site, and have seen some of his interior shots on Gecko's portfolio.
He does great work either way though!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM

Ricky, interesting. All I know is I see him participate on the Luminous Landscape message board, and when he speaks about doing his post processing it sounds as though he's speaking about himself doing the work. Maybe he does some of the smaller jobs,as time permits, or maybe he's referring to overseeing the work of others.

He does do great work, and since you've worked on some of is portfolio shots hopefully someday you will present on RetouchPro Live.

FWIW, I know car shots entail a lot of stripping the vehicle into new backgrounds, removing shooting rigs, adding shadows and such, but what I'm most interested in is the precise shadings, contouring and sometimes virtual relighting of the cars that takes place in post. We see a lot of tuts for contouring faces and skin, but the degree of precision required in product photography makes it a different beast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as with photographers too, those who are versed in fashion/beauty don't necessarily make the best product retouchers, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Well, yes and no. It's true that cleaning up sheet metal on a car is, comparably, way more heavy handed than cleaning up skin. There is usually a strange, puckered texture on sheet metal that you can plainly see on the horizon lines that is referred to as "orange peeling", because it looks like the horizon line is falling on the surface of an orange. That kind of thing is usually flattened and straightened out so as to get rid of the texture, whereas in beauty retouching, the objective is to clean up the skin without losing texture and making it look, well, retouched.
I think with automotive/product retouching, you have to be meticulous about your masks. "Live and die by your mask", my boss would say, and it's totally true. It's the same in beauty, but I think with that you could get away with softer, more "organic" masks.

Car interiors, especially with leather seats, are an exception to the sentiment that product and beauty retouchers are completely different breeds. Cleaning up leather seats is a lot like cleaning up skin in that you want to preserve as much leather grain detail as possible, especially with the luxury brands who tend to present their catalogs and ads as if they were fine art prints. Working in Detroit, I didn't get to work on too many beauty shots, but when I did, I knew how to clean up skin based on how I clean up leather interiors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM

another vote for Katrin Eismann and photo restoration
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM

My vote for Christophe Huet. And Christian Schmidt or Amy Dresser would be also great :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 AM

Doug:
You said that you had no requests for Katrin Eismann. I did make that request in the questionare that you sent out. Deke McClelland would also make a great choice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Janitor

Read the post dates, quite a few requests have come in since then. Katrin is easily one of the most requested presenters.

Of course, anyone that reads this thread could help by emailing presenters they'd like to see and asking them to please present on RetouchPRO LIVE.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Patron

I'd like to see Burt Monroy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 AM

A lot of great people have been requested, but so many of them are already available on Lynda or Kelbytraining, etc. Do you want to be getting the people everyone gets, or do you want to be the place for unique presenters?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Janitor

No other venue offers the interactivity RP LIVE does, so my only criterion would be the value of the content to our viewers.

That said, anyone with a contract with another site might not be willing/able to present anywhere else. No firm rule there, just a possibility.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE