RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE 06/10/09 Feedback Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE 06/10/09 Feedback Thread

This was my first webinar and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for providing an excellent presenter. I hope to do this again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Patron

Not only was the information presented good, the conversation at the end about the work he gets and how that came about was very informative to me. I'm trying to break into this industry and am always wondering what others that are successful are doing. Thanks to both Doug and Steve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Janitor

Thanks for all the kind comments, and keep the feedback coming.

Make sure you subscribe to our email list so you won't miss any future webcasts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Patron

Very impressive, and fun, too. I learned a lot and the price was certainly right. Like Liz, I wish I had a screen capture of all the layers; my notes are barely legible. I did, however, immediately order Steve's book. His website looks to be a really valuable resource, too. Sign me up for the next web cast!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM

I thought the webinar was a fantastic value! I definitely learned some shortcuts and new techniques. Steve Caplan did a wonderful job. It was also great to hear about actual work experiences too.

Down side though was the audio distortion. I've participated in webinars before without this problem although they were strictly domestic as opposed to an international webcast.

Is there any chance that future webinars could be recorded and offered to site members afterwards? That would be helpful in getting around the distortion issue (if recorded at the speaker's site). It would also be great for people who couldn't attend LIVE.

Also, any chance of a written posting of talking points, etc. for the aurally challenged or hearing impaired viewers?

High marks overall though! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin l View Post
Hi all
Oh, I so wish I'd been able to hear what Steve was saying.
I hope some of our more technical guru folks here will be able to help you figure out the problem - since you had audio working on your computer, I have no idea why you couldn't hear the webinar - I didn't have any problem other than the occasional static already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin l View Post
A few questions for those of you who did hear him speak:
(I think the following things were probably in response to questions he had been asked) -
1. What was the point of the transparent yellow goo on the hair right in the beginning?
2. What was he doing with the ball layer (hard light, lighter areas dodged onto ball shape) near the end?
3. And what was the stuff with the 2 chefs all about? Why did he resize them twice, and why was it so important to change the lighting using shadow and highlight before he brought them into his composite image?

Did anyone ask any questions about blending edges - I noticed he seldom feathered or softened any edges of his elements.

Also, what was the story with thefullmonty.com and the retouchpro voucher?

Thanks in advance. I hope someone can enlighten me.
Karin
I'll just give info that I can, and let others fill in more as they understand it.

1. What was the point of the transparent yellow goo on the hair right in the beginning?

He was showing how using the Hard Light blend mode would work (grays disappear and only the highlights/shadows show up, which can be used to your creative advantage), as well as the use of the "plastic wrap" filter to make things look wet.

2. What was he doing with the ball layer (hard light, lighter areas dodged onto ball shape) near the end?

As you surmised, an answer to a question about figuring out the lighting when you add images with different original light sources to a montage. He was showing a general idea of thinking about where the light hits an object and where the ambient light also hits an object (opposite side of the ball ) to show the roundness of the ball, for instance.

3. And what was the stuff with the 2 chefs all about? Why did he resize them twice, and why was it so important to change the lighting using shadow and highlight before he brought them into his composite image?

He was showing how important sizing to scale was, and (correct me, or add to this, if you can) that using the eyeline of the subject person to match where the horizon is in the image helps to keep perspective correct.

Did anyone ask any questions about blending edges - I noticed he seldom feathered or softened any edges of his elements.

He did some feathering when using a filter, but I don't have that in my notes -- someone help! It wasn't a major discussion.

Also, what was the story with thefullmonty.com thefullmontage.co m and the retouchpro voucher?

I must have missed the email address because my email bounced back to me, but he offered a voucher to try out a few images for those who attended the webinar. Doug will be able to get us that correct info, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM

i arrived 1/2 way through (don't ask) and still thought the webinar was terrific and of value. agree that the occassional audio issues were annoying but minimized since Doug knew it was happening and could get Steve to restate the lost info. Also, it was only occasional, not a show stopper by any means. i look forward to more and i'm off to have a look at his books and yes a purchase of at least one is planned!

Thanks Doug and Steve!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM

You may also be interested in checking out Steve's Reader Forum and the Friday challenges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM

It's all been said above, but here it is again. I thought it was fantastic. I learned some excellent new techiques, and have some practising to do, in order to remember what he did (eg. sticking the PM behind the fence) and get comfortable doing it again in other situations. Thank goodness I knew some stuff, or it would have been overwhelming rather than inspiring.
I am completely hooked and cannot wait for the next webinar. Well done Doug and Steve!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM

I've encountered audio problems when net connections are in the UK before. My writing partner Martin Evening and I often tried to talk via Skype and there were times when he simply went away or ended up sounding like he was at the end of a really long string. Unless Steve was at a broadband location tied directly into the backbone for the UK I suspect you'll always have a degree of audio fading in/out. The fact that he ended up sounding like a Dalek from Dr. Who I thought was friggin' brilliant (I know that wasn't intentional but it made it easier to accept somehow).

:~)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE