RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE: "Selections & Pen Tool" w/Steve Caplin

Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Re: RP LIVE: "Selections & Pen Tool" w/Steve Capli

Bad bad timing (day/time)...but I did what I could to attend...can't do this all the time, but definitely a great presentation...and I hope you make it available again for others. Would be nice to have a list of short cuts that were covered...hard to copy, listen and watch at the same time.

One technical difficulty...I could not send any comments...the comment dialogue area was grayed out and unavailable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Patron

Thumbs up Steve Caplin

Great webinar! Hate to confess, but as much as I love the webinars I have caught myself dozing off in a couple of them. I am always riveted by Mr. Caplin. As much as I enjoyed today's webinar however, it was very basic information and most of which I already knew. Picked up a few tips, like the rubber band with the pen tool which I did not know about, but I would love to see a webinar where more complex elements are selected such as hair.
That's a big big one, as nothing can take aim at an obvious add on more than a bad hair selection and of course bad lighting, but that's another story.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Patron

The Selection seminar was filled with very practical information, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. My problem, however, is that when I am making a note or two, I seem to miss the next piece of helpful advice.
Is is possible to have a podcast or free replay for those who signed on for the original program?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Patron

I don't usually look at the same broadcast twice, but on occasion have had to do so as stated above. I too find that there are occasions that one has to write notes and then unless it is one of those painfully slow presenters you miss vital information. Recording is not allowed, and UNDERSTANDABLY so. There was no mention however about screen shots, and every once in a while I will take a screen shot of something that I know I am not going to remember and do not have the time to write down. If I am lucky, when I review the still it triggers the process, and then again sometimes not... $10 is really not a king's ransom however, and if I missed a lot while writing or had questions which never made it to the presenter, ( which frequently happens, maybe they were not considered relevant or just stupid - I don't know) I will look at the rebroadcast as I might with this one, but just jump in when he gets to the pen tool and some of its tricks as the other stuff was all pretty basic. I would also really like it if the skill level of the broadcast could be posted in the advert/notification as there really does seem to be a wide spectrum of viewers and what is an "aha" moment for some, is really just kindergarten for another.
Thanks - looking forward to the webinar/s on hair selection though, and maybe some more complex stuff like trees and fine elements such as in the stock image of the mermaid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM

I agree with your comments with regard to having to take notes and missing important information. It would be nice if there was a way of revisiting the web cast and cover the items that where missed. This could be done by signing in with the original log in code.

I don't usually look at the same broadcast twice, but on occasion have had to do so as stated above. I too find that there are occasions that one has to write notes and then unless it is one of those painfully slow presenters you miss vital information. Recording is not allowed, and UNDERSTANDABLY so. There was no mention however about screen shots, and every once in a while I will take a screen shot of something that I know I am not going to remember and do not have the time to write down. If I am lucky, when I review the still it triggers the process, and then again sometimes not... $10 is really not a king's ransom however, and if I missed a lot while writing or had questions which never made it to the presenter, ( which frequently happens, maybe they were not considered relevant or just stupid - I don't know) I will look at the rebroadcast as I might with this one, but just jump in when he gets to the pen tool and some of its tricks as the other stuff was all pretty basic. I would also really like it if the skill level of the broadcast could be posted in the advert/notification as there really does seem to be a wide spectrum of viewers and what is an "aha" moment for some, is really just kindergarten for another.
Thanks - looking forward to the webinar/s on hair selection though, and maybe some more complex stuff like trees and fine elements such as in the stock image of the mermaid.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM

I found the broadcast and the teaching to be superb. What a joy it is to be able to take these seminars from well-known experts.

On this particular webinar, I was familiar with most of the subject matter. I did, however, get a total refreshment of a few things I had forgotten over time. Thank you for those small tweaks to make the workflow smoother and quicker.

As to taking notes... I take a lot of them and often miss important points as well. Therefore, I have taken to using the camera instead of screen shots to help remember an important point. I find that I can just write 'pic' on the notes and insert it later. It has saved me a bunch of time; and I get more out of each webinar by being able to concentrate wholly on the lecture.

Thank you again for these wonderful classes.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Patron

Are you using a PC or Mac? Asking because I find that command/alt/4 is just so easy for taking small selections anywhere on the screen that I want, mostly just the layers panel and then I put all of the screen shots into an individual folder with that webinar's notes.

I am on an iMac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Patron

Janet I was reading your post again, and I am confused. What do you mean by using a camera? And the part about inserting the snap on the notes? Do you mean that you transcribe your notes on the computer and then add the pictures? Camera as in computer based, or independent equipment?

Thanks, I am just trying to see if I can fine tune my notes process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Steve is a GREAT presenter and teacher -- he has a lot of knowledge, experience, and expertise AND is excellent at knowing how to show us how to do things. But he IS fast, and I join those who have gotten behind while trying to take notes or have forgotten something that he showed us earlier. I know I'll buy one of his book eventually, but it's SO much better actually seeing him at work. I did NOT know about the rubber band option with the pen tool, and I have used it (not well) for years. Thanks for that!
Doug, your experience showed well with your handling of the intermittent sound problems due to the intercontinental feed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 AM

Unfortunately, I was away and missed this important (to me) webinar. Is it to be repeated, or have I missed that as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE