RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE: "Selections & Pen Tool" w/Steve Caplin

Old 09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Janitor

RP LIVE: "Selections & Pen Tool" w/Steve Caplin

Announcing the much-requested return of Steve Caplin to RetouchPRO LIVE.

This time Steve will be showing you more than you ever wanted to know about making selections using Photoshop CS4. He will place special emphasis on demonstrating and explaining the Pen Tool in great detail.

From Steve:
"Effective Photoshop work is all about making selections. We'll look at how to use modifier keys to extend the functionality of all the standard selection tools; how to use QuickMask to make awkward and soft selections; the best use of the Quick Selection tool, and some surprising uses for the Refine Edge dialog. And we'll also, once and for all, nail that most tricky of selection devices - the Pen tool."

As always, this is live so Steve will also be answering questions from the audience.

Wednesday, September 9, 2pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=caplin

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 09-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Re: RP LIVE: "Selections & Pen Tool" w/Steve Capli

Sounds great...but that terrible Wed afternoon time...hopefully a rebroadcast on the weekend
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 AM

An advance, across-pond "Cheerio" to Steve Caplin, from one of his very distant cousins! Can't wait for this "PENultimate" happening (which really means "next to last" and isn't, but couldn't resist the pen, I mean pun).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Janitor

That's OK, at least no one is doing bad Sgt. Schultz impressions due to the showdate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Janitor

Steve provided some further detail about what he'll be covering, which I've pasted into the first post here and on the announcement page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Janitor

Steve tells me he's going to make practice files available for download after the show. Just so I'm not deluged with "how can I get the files" emails, here's advance notice that the link will appear here in this thread after the show is finished.

I'm experimenting with one thread for each show instead of two, so you'll also return to this thread to post your feedback after the show.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM

I'd like to put my pen questions out in advance:

1. Please spend some time explaining when and how to use the add, subtract, intersect, exclude buttons. Do you select those options before or after drawing the paths, or are modifier keys the better approach?

2. The other day I was turning paths into masks and my masks were turning out soft. I wondered if refine edge were applying settings to the mask but after a while I found by clicking on the path pallet options that I had a feather setting in place.

I use three basic shortcuts to turn paths to selections.

A) control+click (Mac) on the path with the pen tool. This opens a dialog box allowing me to set the feather. This is clear.

B) CMD+Click the path in the paths pallet.
C) CMD+Enter when the path is active.

Am I correct that with both B and C a feather may be applied to the selection as determined by the dialog box buried within the paths pallet? And is the paths pallet the only means to that dialog box with those shortcuts, or is there an additional modifier key I can use to access it on the fly (other than option A)?

Lastly, I implore that you guys not spend the first 1.5 hours going tediously slowly over masking 101 basics only to find you have little time left for more advanced aspects causing you to rush through the more challenging things. If this is going to try to be suitable for beginners and advanced users please pace it so both parties get equal time. This is being billed as more than we ever wanted to know about the pen tool, not more than we ever wanted to know about masking 101 followed by 15 hectic minute rushing through the pen tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Janitor

You requests generally follow some of the outline we have in place. Steve did a show on masks already, so we shouldn't spend too much time on that (Quick Mask being the exception). Estimate is for 1/2 hour to be on the Pen Tool by itself, hopefully that will be enough time to cover it in excruciating detail.

I'll ask Steve to review this thread ahead of time, but don't be shy about asking questions during the show should I forget something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Good points, Flashtones. I think we can be sure to cover all the issues you mention!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks for respecting my concerns. My last suggestion is to not save the pen for the end. In the seminars I've seen so far questions and technical difficulties skew the program to start slow and end fast. Since the pen tool headlines this event can we let it open the show to insure it's given ample time?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE