Have you planned a rebroadcast?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Re: RP LIVE: "Beauty Masking" with Chris Tarantino

so folks..how was it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 AM

GREAT show!!! Some excellent tips on using channels to create ultra accurate masks.
Thanks Chris it was wonderful, can't wait until the next one.

Last edited by uwfotoguy; 10-06-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 AM

As it is for me... I have found this webinar quite interesting, but You could found most of the stuff here:
Tony Kuyper - Luminescence masking
Or maybe not most, but the general idea and technique is described there, and the way You will use it depends on Yours needs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 AM

Thank you Chris for a great show and for sharing wonderful informtaion with all of us; I appreciate it.

I will have to practice quite a bit to fine-tune all this advise that you have dispensed and am sure that with the accumulation of experience, I too can hone in on this technique.

At some stage during the presentation, I felt as if my memory buffer was overflowing, so I quickly have to start playing with these ideas to make it more part of me as to only part of my memory.

What confused me a bit was the inverted histogram, but I resigned to the idea that I would make sense of it on my own once I use the histogram the other way around. I always wondered why there was an option to see it in reverse, and now I know it is for folk who is more used to pigment-side of colour as opposed to the light-side of colour.

What I feel you could have explained a bit more, was the overall objective of the photo and what our goal with it was. As I see it now, we focussed on techniques only, and not so much on the goal of the final image and then using techniques on getting to it. This way, we could start with the original image and build layers ontop of it all in line to reach the final image we desire and thus we can see why certain techniques are being used in conjunction with others. As it was, I feel it was lots of techniques standing on their own as opposed to an over-all story or idea holding them together.

Some questions from me:
1. I notice that the books you have published is getting a bit old in terms of Photoshop years; are you planning on releasing anything newer soon?

2. You mentioned that if you had a PC instead of an Apple, you would not be where you are right now. Why is that?

Regards,
Jacques

P.S. Thank you for answering my questions during the show and hope your weathered feeling is gone soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Will this be offered as a video that we can pay to see at our own chosen time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Cyberek, Kuyper's method is simialr. One difference is that Kuyper makes intermediate alpha masks and Chris creates by selections and then from that the final mask on the adj layer. No intermediate alpha masks. This can be significant. I recently had a large pano which when flattened was still 1.3GB. Finally remembered that I made a bunch of lum alpha channels which were still in the file. Erased those and the file size went down to about 300mb.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM

elboertjie

I hope that the confusion with the reversed histogram in the curves dialog box makes sense soon. It really is just a matter of thinking of it flipped over. But you don't have to have your curves set the way that mine were. It all still works with it set to default settings.
Also, the objective of the show was to show how to do masking. Nothing really beyond that point.

Yes my books are getting a bit old. And yes, I am starting a book now that is more up to date. The book is set for a May 2010 release.
My comment regarding the windows machine is not meant to infer that retouching cannot be done on a windows machine. When I started retouching using a computer I had been putting off any kind of digital abilities because I was a bit intimidated by the DOS command line etc. It was all way to logical for me and I was a bit to lazy to really want to learn it.

Cyberek

Tony Krupers techniques are indeed similar to what I do. As I said towards the end of the webinar, there are others who do use this technique out there and I didn't think calling it the Chris technique was the way to go. The difference between what I do and what Tony does is that it can be used to select colors also not just tonal regions. I can and might get into showing that at another webinar but I thought it might be way to much info all at once to recall.

As with anything anyone is going to show in a webinar, any info is out there to find. But who knows what to think about if they don't know that something like that capability exists?
Thats all I am trying to do, and I suspect others also. Showing you what can be done with something that you might not have thought about or even thought possible.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Chris, I have created the selective color presets as you pointed out - they work great by the way. Is there an easier way to get them as functional masks? My workflow is, create selective color AL, for example too much red, than with that layer selected goto the channels, ctrl-click on the rgb, go back to layers palette and open a curve AL with that selection...Is that your workflow as well, looked simpler last night
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Yes it is that simple. But, if you know you are going after the red, yellow etc you could just make an action to do it all for you including the selection to mask to adjustment layer.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE