RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE with Amy Dresser

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE with Amy Dresser

My favorite part-
Doug: "but using dodge and burn on the actual layer is destructive to the pixels right?"
Amy: "Well.... the pixels can just get over it..."

Haha, awesome! I bet there was a bunch of people gasping at this point in the event, I'm sure Doug was being assaulted with with questions also.

Great event. I kind of want to move next to a staples now. Much thanks to Doug and Amy for all the work they did putting this together and troubleshooting during the show.

I would love to see an advanced event on hair... all the different ways to fill in gaps, manipulate the hair, cleaning flyaways, advanced masking for difficult background changes, maybe tackling the calculations dialogue. Maybe some creative color changes to change the mood.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eos View Post
Unfortunately I had to miss this one. Doug, can we expect to see a rebroadcast?
I think there's always a rebroadcast of each show... Right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lawrence View Post
My favorite part-
Doug: "but using dodge and burn on the actual layer is destructive to the pixels right?"
Amy: "Well.... the pixels can just get over it..."

Haha, awesome! I bet there was a bunch of people gasping at this point in the event, ....
The problem with this approach is that once she has finished her retouching, it is near impossible to re-adjust something that she has already retouched and therefore has to retouch it again to an extent.

This is why she also said later in the show that she wants all the requests from her clients upfront, before she starts to retouch, as opposed to afterwards.

Her retouching approach is a one-way approach, not an approach that one can use to re-visit the steps later.

Still interesting though, even if it is destructive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM

I've had about 48 hours to digest the content in Amy & Doug's Webinar...

Pros: She is VERY easy to listen to and had me laughing at some points
Video quality was fantastic despite the technical problems
A couple of new tricks learned
Well organized presentation (despite the tech-issues)

Cons: Doug talked too much about nothing in particular...
The image she was working on was pretty ho-hum
How were the issues of eye-makeup, that flip of red hair, and the blownout highlights not addressed? They were the 800 lb gorilla in the room!
No PSD file
Not enough questions asked and answered
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
The image she was working on was pretty ho-hum
How were the issues of eye-makeup, that flip of red hair, and the blownout highlights not addressed? They were the 800 lb gorilla in the room!
No PSD file

Several folks have mentioned that they thought the eye makeup should have been retouched -- but unless the photographer or art director asked for a change, why would the retoucher do anything except make sure that the saturation/color was constant within the area? The model would have been told to change the makeup and/or her hair color before the shoot if the look wasn't what they wanted in the final image. Amy Dresser mentioned that the size of the finished image as it was going to be used was small so that details (even those she did work on) would not be noticeable.

Here is a website that saved a copy of Amy Dresser's work from a website she had previously - it includes a .psd file download for the image discussed - it is listed as a pdf download, but is the psd file.

http://photodevotion.com/2009/07/amy...er-retouching/

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-09-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 AM

That was my first Webinar with RetouchPro and that was as expected (really professional quality for audio and video and for the technical stuff behind), except for one thing: the "talk show", that surprised me in a good way.

Let me explain how I see the talk that Doug had done, Doug had done two basic things here, make Amy Dresser comfortable and at the same time pulled out her attitude about retouching and arts in general. I've a passion for social dynamics and communication so it was really interesting.

Half of the "how Amy Dresser do a retouching" comes by her attitude, thanks to Doug and his questions; the other half comes by seeing her doing various things (thanks to Amy ). The technical stuff was in there so there is no need to hear her spoke about what she is doing, is really better this way (hearing her attitude and watching her techniques). The only thing that remain uncovered is "why you do that in this way?", well do it and discover yourself; that's the better part, where you actually learn something and don't emulate someone like a robot would do.

I don't know about the previous events but I'm really glad that this one was done in this way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 03:29 PM

does anybody know if there is going to be a rebroadcast?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elboertjie View Post
The problem with this approach is that once she has finished her retouching, it is near impossible to re-adjust something that she has already retouched and therefore has to retouch it again to an extent.
Not sure I agree. How is working on a duped layer any more destructive than working on a blank, 50% gray, or adjustment layer? In each case the underlying pixels (the background layer) are never touched or "destroyed".

Changes to her burn/dodge layer are done in the same way as any other b/d layer: mask/erase/opacity/clipping an adjustment layer to it, etc. If she needs to rework a small area all she has to do is select it from the background and CMD+J above her b/d layer. How is that so different than erasing or otherwise re-adjusting whatever b/d method you consider superior?

The trick is to find a way of working that is comfortable and predictable, and getting really good at it. Her methods don't seem to prevent her from doing top quality work, so who cares how it's done, other than to learn from it?

Some of this non-destructive editing can go too far, like the people who can't accept that their edits made their picture look a lot better just because now there are spikes in the histogram. If "destroying" pixels makes the picture look better than I'm all for destroying pixels.

Last edited by Flashtones; 11-09-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM

So many ask yet still no answer. Will there be a Rebroadcast of Amy Dresser....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM

"Half of the "how Amy Dresser do a retouching" comes by her attitude, thanks to Doug and his questions; the other half comes by seeing her doing various things (thanks to Amy ). The technical stuff was in there so there is no need to hear her spoke about what she is doing, is really better this way (hearing her attitude and watching her techniques). "

I agree.

Last edited by dianajenna; 11-11-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add quote marks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE