RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE with Amy Dresser

Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE with Amy Dresser

Overall a great session, my first too. I will definately be coming back for future sessions. I just hope in time we are able to purchase the sessions as it is so much better to have something visual to refer to as oppose to hurried notes. I suppose in one way I have to be thankful for the chit chat and technical issues so I could clean up my notes inbetween.

Thanks Doug and Amy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcherry View Post
Two things, first, how could you have not asked her about that horrendous eye makeup and why she chose not to fix it? Perhaps my questions went into the ether...
I was thinking this myself. I would have fixed the makeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcherry View Post
Second, Do you really need to spend so much time with the ridiculous banter? I don't carve out two hours on a Saturday evening for that. More questions, more tech, allow the artist to present and less inane blather, please. Anyway, I'm sure others feel differently but those are my $0.02 on the presentation.
I think it was said by others as well: too much smalltalk. And there have been only about 3 to 4 Questions answered.

My summary (This was my first webinar):
- technical problems: well, s... happens
- presentation: too much small talk, at times Doug didn't let Amy have her own flow (too much interruptions)
- quality: I had good picture and good sound

All in all it was well worth the 10 bucks. And I maybe consider to attend another webinar.

Regarding a downloadable PDS-File:
I understand that there are licensing issues with "client"-pictures, but why can't the presenters work on a picture from a stock-archive. There are a lot of very good portraits on stock-archives which don't have license issues. And I don't mind on which pic Amy or someone else demos their stuff. And I wold even pay more to cover the costs to license such a stock-archive pic.

Doug, another idea would be to have a model/fashion/portrait shoot for retouch pro, where the pics can then be used in the webinars and given to the attendies.

All the best
Mirko
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00dle View Post
@ Olga, if i remember correctly, 65 is the number she uses in color range (naming 65 so that she can remember) to add a punch to highlight, then duplicate and blur to make it glow and shiny...don't remember the last layer, but seem like she duplicates all, blur, and opacity to about 20-40% for vignette effect (i believe) .
Thank a lot
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olga View Post
Sorry, in some way just missed the last 3 layers, where is 65, blur and some else. Could somebody explain me? Thank You
The 65 layer was a white layer with colorrange-selection set to 65 to add more white (shine) to the highlights. With the setting of 65 she selected all the Highlights in the pic. She duplicated the layer and then applied a gaussian blur at about 21.5 to add more shine/glow to the Highlights. She masked out both layers there the white would cover to much of the underlying details via layermasks.

The 1.9 layer was layer set to overlay with the highpass-filter at 1.9 (again with layer-mask).

Hope that helps
Mirko
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 AM

Personally I quite enjoy the banter & entertainment that Doug adds to the webinars, keeps it nice & grounded & less clinical while still keeping the focus on the retouch, also I'm all for getting an overall picture on a persons retouching lifestyle ..how they got into it etc
One gripe is that Doug never seems to air any of my Q's ...but sure he's overloaded etc...

Also couldn't help feeling that the quality of the image wasn't great...alot of blown out regions which seemed unretouchable, dodgy makeup not getting any mention, loads of stray hairs just left , & the bones in her chest kept catching my eye in a bad way ...
would like to know what others feel about those areas & if they'd be inclined to retouch them or not?

Last edited by markc78; 11-08-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc78 View Post
Also couldn't help feeling that the quality of the image wasn't great...alot of blown out regions which seemed unretouchable, dodgy makeup not getting any mention , & the bones in her chest kept catching my eye in a bad way ...
would like to know what others feel about those areas & if they'd be inclined to retouch them or not?
I enjoyed the show as well, but I really second every word you said! To be honest I don't think I would have bothered to retouch a pic of this quality at all or would have cropped the hell out of it
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Anyone remember what she said in regards to the curves adjustment layers. Eg if you want to lower the red you can either lower the red curve or play with the green or blue curve. What did she say in regards to how she makes her decision which to go for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

This wasn't a big feature of her retouching.
she would see an area she thought was , lets say, a little green,
she would make a selection around the area, put it on a layer, select curves in
adjustment layers, then make a minor tweak in either R,G, or B. The effect was
almost unnoticeable. But that was how all of her moves were. An accumulation of
dozens of moves that in themselves made little impression but cumulatively
had a large effect. I mean, the tolerances on some of her brushes was 1-3%!
Talk about subtle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Yes I will definatley be using that method or at least trying it out. I might enroll in a life drawing class too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 AM

i was a big fan of the retouchpro live events .... just missed a few shows ... and i still love it didn't mind the technical problems and hey for just $10 getting the chance to watch professionals like chris, amy and others - in my opinion it's just priceless

liked what amy did ... also her voice sounds really great. so hopefully we will be seeing another webinar with her.

doug, keep on the good work!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE