RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE - Chris Tarantino redo (rebroadcast)

Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Re: RP LIVE - Chris Tarantino redo (rebroadcast)

Btw, the video quality on webinar is superb (not to mention the image he was using)!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Well Doug and Chris, this was my first webbinar i attended (on a rebroadcast and i must say it was very enlighting and inspiring so keep up the good work =)

And jbedford, i kinda liked the little banter and commentary myself ;D
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM

I enjoyed that. Picked up a few interesting tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Very informative. I would love an entire Tutorial on Custom Filters, and understanding the algorithms on a higher level. I am also interested in learning the glamour/ fashion portion of retouching, can retouch pro hire anyone to teach such? I am a retouch junkie, I do this for a living and I want to know everything!
Thanks.
Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM

I also enjoyed the broadcast ..... thanks Chris & Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Two sharpening questions for Chris ...

Last night was the 2nd time around for me for the broadcast - I learned a huge amount more by seeing it twice and taking the time to practice the techniques in between. So much made more sense last night, so thanks again!

I have a couple of questions for you about the sharpening you used:

1. The image was fairly sharp to start with. Did you use some kind of post-scanning "capture sharpening" to get it to that stage, or is that how the image came off the scanner?

2. Something I noticed in the re-broadcast that I didn't notice in the original: unless I was seeing things, the group/smart object you used to control the sharpening (i.e. the two custom filters) were really low in the layers stack - just above the background layer in fact. Perhaps I was just tired and my eyes were crossed, but I am more used to the sharpening layer being at the very top of the layers stack i.e. it's the last thing applied. Am I mis-understanding something?

Thanks,
-darryl
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Darryl

There was no sharpening done on the scan. The conversion I came up with to go from a scanned negative to a positive image takes into consideration apparent sharpness. Usually thats all any image needs, but occasionally a little more needs to be done.

You noticed correctly. The custom filters are on the retouched layer of the image. I prefer that as if any further retouching needs to be done I can see where it can be effected by the sharpening.

Of course the biggest reason is to be able to undo the sharpening at any time. Or adjust. Adjusting a stamped up layer is a bit difficult to do. Taking the stamped up layer off is easy, but then you have to remember to do it and also the settings that you first used.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 AM

I would kindly appreciate this if there is a rebroadcast of this again. I missed all three of these because my time zone is PST (and usually it's earlier here) and I go to school during daytime on weekdays. If it were broadcast in something like 5 pm PST that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE