RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE w/Chris Tarantino "Calculations"

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE w/Chris Tarantino "Calculation

Yes..Thanks this was a nice Show. I have read a lot of the Dan Margulis stuff and so i used apply Image a lot..and i have also done an action to visualise the chanels, but i have missed the HSB/HSL thing..very nice special for skintones....

Chris you inspired me to look closer to the customfilter command and i think it is very interesting for sharpening would like to see more on that topic .

Im interested in the VERY adcanced Topics...please continue ...Beginner stuff is all over the net...
lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi all,

Many thanks to Doug and Chris for a great show. Well, I thought I knew Photoshop quite well but now I reaslise I don't after that show! Got the general jist of it but quite complex at the same time. First time experiencing a webinar too and was very impressed with the refresh rate, sound quality and interactivity.

I just had one question, that was about installing the plugin's necessary for give you the extra options in the calculations dialog box. I've found the goodies folder on the install CD but could someone explain exactly which file has to be copied to exactly which location?

Many thanks in advance,

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Great show Chris. It is actually more helpful to see the thought process instead of a preplanned result.

I was one of the viewers asking about using calculations for removing blemishes and unwanted color. I have been trying for a couple years and haven't found a way to do it that looks believable at all. I'm not giving up though, but at least I'm not the only one stumped.

Thanks you for the HSL/HSB info. That will certainly make a huge difference with the efficiency of my masking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 AM

Good show, Chris, thanks!

For a good introduction to calculations, Deke McClelland's "Channels and Masks" is a good starting point, especially for the "offset" and "scale" functions in the Add and Subtract blend modes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Tried out the action, and changed one of my cats from mostly white to all black! That was before I tried any Calculations - it was just one of the channel options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunny-in-white.jpg (99.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Bunny-in-black.jpg (99.0 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Great show Chris, I really enjoyed it.

I have a photo that I just started working on with some funny black glasses that I think I may want to change to white. I would love to get some tips on how to mask this one. The image is mine and everyone has my permission to download, play along and repost their attempts.

I'm thinking I going to do a gradient map from light light light gray to white (not sure though) and then use a mask generated by calculations.

I ran you action (thanks again) and found a few channels where the glasses were fairly well isolated from everything except the eyes.

Regards,

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leah158Working1.jpg (98.8 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Hi all,

Many thanks to Doug and Chris for a great show. Well, I thought I knew Photoshop quite well but now I reaslise I don't after that show! Got the general jist of it but quite complex at the same time. First time experiencing a webinar too and was very impressed with the refresh rate, sound quality and interactivity.

I just had one question, that was about installing the plugin's necessary for give you the extra options in the calculations dialog box. I've found the goodies folder on the install CD but could someone explain exactly which file has to be copied to exactly which location?

Many thanks in advance,

David
You have to go in Applications/Adobe photoshop cs4/plug-ins/filter and copy this file HSBHSL.plugin.

Restart Photoshop cs4 that it's !

Ciao
Roberto
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Anybody else finding CS4 not recogonizing the hsbhsl.8bf action? I have it in the presets\plugin folder but when I try to load it from within photoshop it will not display it in the list to select to load. So far searching online I've not found an answer. I'm using windows Vista. yea i know, next system will be a mac. i was so excited to try Chris's action. it still works except for these two channels which i really hope to be able to explore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM

It is not an action. It is a filter. You will find it under the filter/other menu. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM

duhhhh user error. wonderful....well i still want to buy a mac. thanks a bunch. i'm tired and didn't even realize that. should do the trick.
.....update.... yep that did the trick. i'm so excited but given how tired i think i'll leave the channel exploration until tomorrow. does look like it opened up some new options on an extract that has been really causing me agony. thanks again Robert.

Last edited by dweekley; 12-20-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update after fix of issue
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE