RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE with Chris Tarantino "Surprise!"

Old 01-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE with Chris Tarantino "Surprise

Yes, there were some quick key strokes with creating masks that would benefit the unseasoned with reiterating and explaining. Otherwise an awesome presentation. Thank you Chris and Doug.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:03 PM

I always learn a lot from Chris. He is a superb presenter. His technical speak is pretty easy to understand and follow later in my own work, even though beauty retouching and wildlife/landscape photography seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. This particular class was very, very well done.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Stick with the Saturday schedule...for me it works great! I work during the week and can never make the Wed time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Liked the insight into his brush setup, and lash drawing technique. The colour correction side was very minimal as I would usually have a darker flatter image from raw to keep detail in shad/hi light and work it in photoshop more but this makes me think it would maybe be better to get more finished result from the raw software, although the image was very well tonally balanced to start with.
Great work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

I came in late and caught only half the show, but from what I saw, I was very satisfied. Wondering if someone who saw the entire show can comment on the first half that I missed. I saw Chris had a solar curve layer and also a gradient map. These layers weren't activated for the final edit, but what did Chris use this for? Just curious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky3 View Post
I came in late and caught only half the show, but from what I saw, I was very satisfied. Wondering if someone who saw the entire show can comment on the first half that I missed. I saw Chris had a solar curve layer and also a gradient map. These layers weren't activated for the final edit, but what did Chris use this for? Just curious.
The solar curve was used as a visual to show up the larger imperfections like stray hairs etc, and the gradient map was used to show up the smaller imperfections and colour shifts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 AM

have seen most if not all of the retouch webinars, still picked up a few new useful things from Chris's latest. always a treat. Thanks Chris and Doug....although that undereye makeup still bugs me, wish we could have seen that finished off LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 AM

I would love to see a rebroadcast of this as I unfortunately missed it! It sounds like it was really good.
Thanks Doug.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 AM

It was very good, those that missed it missed some very good techniques.

Chris Tarantino was my first webinar, I learned a lot and would sign up for another in a heartbeat! Although watching a man of his abilities and credentials spend 1/2 an hour on D+B skin is like having Einstein explain addition and subtraction for 1/2 an hour

Recommendation: limit future elite level retouchers such as Chris to 10-15 min of their D+B techniques, thus allowing them to delve further into their retouching process.

The solar curve, define-pattern-multiply-paint and double luminosity mask sharpen techniques (to name a few) were highly educational.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Don't change what you are doing. As I said in the webinar, I also prefer a flatter output from an image processor. I did tweak the hl - 1/4 tones up a bit to flatten but left the shadow alone. This was mostly for the sake of time and the webinar.

However, that said, image processors are improving greatly and you CAN do a lot more of the finishing work in them. Each one has its strengths though so you need to experiment to find out which is better suited for you workflow.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedbinary View Post
Liked the insight into his brush setup, and lash drawing technique. The colour correction side was very minimal as I would usually have a darker flatter image from raw to keep detail in shad/hi light and work it in photoshop more but this makes me think it would maybe be better to get more finished result from the raw software, although the image was very well tonally balanced to start with.
Great work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE