RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE "Ask an Adobe Engineer" with Chris Cox

Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Re: RP LIVE "Ask an Adobe Engineer" with Chris Cox

someone please ask him why you cannot delete multiple paths from the "paths" pallet at once, like you can in channels. I had to create a work panel with a script to do this seemingly simple function!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Janitor

Thanks, Murray. This is a bit of an experiment. My hope is to make this a semi-regular event, both with Chris and with other Adobe personnel. But for that to happen we need to impress upon them that there is significant interest. There's still a day left, but so far the interest is light. Any help at all in getting the word out will increase the chances of making shows like this a regular feature for RP LIVE.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 01-30-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Janitor

You might want to write your questions down in advance in a text document so you can simply copy and paste them into the Questions window during the show. Then you can concentrate on the show instead of typing. (please only post one question at a time, though. Not the whole text file in one paste)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Janitor

There's still time for you to invite your friends to get their Photoshop geek on with us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in 2 hours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in 1 hour.

I don't know if a show like this will rebroadcast, so make sure everyone you think might be interested knows about it ASAP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link is now closed.

Here's a helpful page if you have audio problems (scroll 2/3 down)

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active.

Come back to this thread after the show and tell us your thoughts about it. Also, give us your requests for future shows with Chris Cox.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Patron

A little - no waaay over my head, and I was hoping to get some of the hard questions asked, and those most discussed/complained about on just about all Photoshop forums, ie why does Photoshop crash (quit unexpectedly... and some). I understand that one has to be polite to one's guests, but I was hoping there was a kind and gentle way of finally getting an answer to this really big problem. It is not a matter of saving one's work either, as frequently it crashes as I am in the process of saving - or trying to, and then it is a gnashing of teeth and back to doing it all over again. When you are working on a tight deadline this is really unacceptable. First webinar that I did not make it through all the way to the end. Great for engineers I am sure, but guess I am just too dumb to have found it riveting. Sigh...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 05:24 PM

First, a big thanks to Chris for doing the show. Your knowledge and insight are as valuable as your time.

Second, if Chris agrees to do this again, can we get a private forum or thread for the registrees to post up questions in advance with polling conducted to 'vote' for them to be asked / answered? As well so that Chris can go through and cherry pick some of his own favorites to answer during the session?

Third: One of mine which we didn't have time for. The High Pass filter has a greater contrast to its result than the USM filter, and inability to directly pair it with Gaussian Blur for spatial de+reconstruction. This was presumably done for a brilliant technical reason (much like 15bit 16bit images is brilliant - one will understand in light of the above my appreciation for a true middle gray), but what was that?

Last edited by bakerser; 01-30-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 PM

TriniK:

We fix all the crashing problems that we know about, and ship dot releases for those that are found after we ship. But we are at the mercy of the Operating system that we run on, and the drivers that we have to use (printers, scanners, sound, graphics, etc.). Third party plugins also run in the same process as Photoshop, and bugs in those plugins can cause Photoshop to crash. And the new GPU/OpenGL features in Photoshop CS4 have exposed us to more driver issues, complicated by the rapid release of new drivers by GPU makers. New releases of Operating Systems can be especially troublesome, as not all the problems in the OS may be worked out (the old "wait for the third service pack" wisdom).

I monitor the Photoshop crash reports that people send in. There are a huge number of third party crashes (drivers, OS and plugins), but not nearly as many Photoshop crash causes as you may think. When we see a pattern to the crashes, we document them and send the details to the responsible party. When it's our fault, we try to fix it. (I've got a few head scratchers that we can't figure out, but I've added extra safety to our code to deal with those situations and try to avoid crashing, while getting us more information about the cause).

Crashing while saving: are you using MacOS 10.6? Yeah, Apple is still working on that. Personally, I'm still running MacOS 10.5.8 : fewer crashes, fewer headaches.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE