RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Just tried this for the first time. I think this is fabulous - thank you!!! The benefits are well worth the extra fee. Like has been mentioned, you can stop and practice. (I am in the US so I realize that $10 is not the same relative cost globally, but I have always thought the sessions were an exceptional value at $10, so have no problem with $20. Plus the convenient time and ability to stop is a bonus!) I think I would almost always prefer the $20 and the convenient time/3-day/pause-friendly option.

A few comments on my experience in case anyone else has a similar setup. I have Tivo's which have an agreement with YouTube, so I thought perhaps I could watch it on my TV through Tivo, but that didn't work because the show isn't listed. Probably because there isn't a way yet to pay the rental fee through Tivo. Also, all YouTube through Tivo is a realtime stream, not something that can be downloaded to your Now Playing List. (I'm sure that will come someday since there are other providers that download content that expires.) So, I thought I might try to download it to my MediaSmart Home Server, which by the way, then I could watch it on my Tivo's (it's all networked and all theoretically works together - it's a new feature.) What I didn't realize is that YouTube is still a real-time streaming solution; it doesn't download to you anywhere. But I did still find a good solution: I can sign into YouTube on another computer, play the content (and I was able to re-start from the beginning) and hook that computer to a TV via RGB cable, and then I can watch it on the TV and practice on my PC. Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I could have done dual monitors and used the TV as one of my monitors too.

I absolutely think making these available anytime is fabulous - many thank you's!!! I hope this is something that continues!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Fabulous! I have no problem with 20 bucks either! Just watched half of one episode ...eating dinner ...going to watch the other half tonight. Fabulous!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Janitor

3 new shows added today:

Amy Dresser's very first show (I edited out the part where she rolls her chair over her microphone controller)
Steve Caplin's Perspective show (again, I edited out the part where his computer crashed)
Uwe Steinmueller's Texture Blending show (unedited, don't underestimate this show, very entertaining and will make you experiment)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM

very nice!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Indeed very nice - anyway I needed some break from checking if rentals are worlwide and have just bought RetouchPRO LIVE "Masque" with Carrie Beene. Can't wait to see it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 PM

I've never seen one live or otherwise, but I would love to. However at USD20 per episode, for pity sake just author and sell DVDs by mailorder. There are lots of advantages to this. Sure you'll get some piracy. But I doubt you'll avoid that on YouTube either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM

I would lower the price a little. $15 seems like the sweet spot for a price point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 PM

I've rented 3 so far ....
I've not been able to attend a Live broadcast due to timing... bit I must say, I like the ability to stop, replay, practice, etc ... and the extra $10 to be able to do this is not an issue.
The problem I currently have is the 72 hour time limit. I have a very busy schedule and I"m having a bit of a problem finding the time to watch the complete video on some.
The first, Amy Dresser 2 I was able to complete ... enjoyed it very much.
The second, Chris Tarantino 2, I could not complete ... again due to a busy schedule.
I'm currenly watching Gry Garness 1 and hope to finish it.

Except for the 72 hour time limit, this is a great resource!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 AM

Doug,
do U get original and retouched photos with all layers when U rent a video on youtube ? For live stream it does not seem necessary as one concentrate on watching video, but with 3 day rental I would like to practise on original and see how it was done by pro retoucher ? Waiting for reply...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Janitor

I haven't been able to get unlimited distribution rights to any of the photos so far. It's a struggle just to get the images so far, even with the limited rights.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE