RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Hi Doug, rented the "Texture Blending" with Uwe Steinmueller (thanks for the upload so here's my youtube review. I had begun in 720p but had several buffering issues. Too often for my patience at least, stopped it and started again later and the pauses were less frequent but enough to motivate me towards the 480p. Good news is that the res on the 480 was more than adequate for this show in full screen mode.

I can't recommend using the play/pause rewind features often, they're glitchy at best sometimes non-responsive so you have to close your browser and restart session. I used two different browser's to test (firefox and google chrome).

Also I attempted to go the wireless route on the laptop the first night, without success although, I don't know if since I was doing this the first night on a weekend the traffic is heavier to cause server issues for youtube. So a dsl/cable seemed to be more responsive.

When I had returned the next day I had no problems watching the show completely, without buffering issues and only rewound once or twice. This next day the wireless laptop worked as well. For those who haven't rented yet, the videos don't quite load as the way you're typically used to seeing them on youtube, I'm not sure what this is called although I suspect this is supposed to make skipping ahead without waiting for the entire video to load work faster. I can't report that this aids the process of watching the vids any easier, the response time is quite laggy.

These are all mainly youtube's shortcoming's though. The show was great, the info wonderful, and if the original broadcasts aren't able to be viewed live or via rebroadcast, I'm happy to have another resource at our disposal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Janitor

Thank you, that is some useful feedback.

The youtube rental files are different from regular youtube files. The regular files simply download to your computer and you play them from your browser cache. Very straightforward. The rental files download in zillions of tiny little chunks which are not stored in your cache. This allows for the on-the-fly resolution change you mention, as well as being able to skip to a spot later in the show without having to wait for the file to download to that point. Of course it also helps with the security which allows these shows to be uploaded to begin with. But as you can imagine it also provides ample opportunity for shifting net conditions to influence the experience. This is why it's in beta, as youtube tweaks their settings in response (the streaming also allows them instant feedback about your viewing experience).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM

is it possible to save RPshows on hdd ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 PM

No, they are streaming only. No download actually happens. Still rocks however, trying one out sold me totally. Just wish it was 7 days not 3 now
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM

So I need to wait for dvd relase
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Janitor

Added 3 more shows today, two with Chris Tarantino (including the "redo" of his premier show) and Steve Caplin's exhaustive survey of all the Photoshop layer types.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

I noticed there is a "watch preview" link on every show. I was hoping these "previews" would have been clips from the show instead of the intro. to the show. This is really useless to anyone trying to decide if a particular show interests them. Maybe in the future you could show actual short clips from the show instead?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Janitor

I didn't even know that feature was there (my interface is different). They're aimed at people that missed the live show, so they'll already know if they want to watch it beforehand. A short clip might even give the wrong impression, since these aren't tutorials and there can be slow patches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM

I'm interested in these YouTube tutorials, but they are banned in my country (Czech Republic). Why?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Janitor

Santoro: read the first post

Everybody:
All three Surprise shows (Carrie Beene, Chris Tarantino, Amy Dresser) are now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE