RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

I guess I do need to put some thought into how to present these to people that have never viewed an RP LIVE show before (or read the feedback about each show here in the forums). I guess my primary concern is whether a 30-second snippet would truly convey the opportunity offered by watching leaders in each of their respective fields in real time. I mean, if you don't know who Amy Dresser is, would watching a 30-second clip really convince you to watch her whole 2 1/2 hour show?

As to raising the live show prices, it's funny you mention that now as I had many "friendly advice" emails when RP LIVE first launched telling me I was needlessly giving away the store at $10. I've even had potential presenters turn me down due to fears that the $10 price would cheapen their brand. Imagine my shock to learn I was suddenly too expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Hi.
Is there any chance that one day - perhaps in the near future - it'll be possible to buy all the shows in a form of DVD or something? So that anyone could have them and watch any time he wants... Even if the price would be higher...
So far, I doubt that even with the youtube I'll be finally able to watch the shows which is a great pity (not all users have 10Mb/s connection speed - i.e. in Poland ?)....

Best regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Janitor

Never say never, but honestly the shows look really bad at DVD resolution. Not so bad as to be of no value, but much worse than I'd like considering the price I'd have to charge. Perhaps some day I'll be able to have them professionally edited with zoom, etc., for DVD viewing, but that would make the shows even more expensive.

But now that I've badmouthed 480 resolution (DVD resolution), let me add that even 1Mb/s users can watch the youtube shows at 480 (and at less than half the cost I'd have to charge for a DVD). Of course, there's still youtube's block on non-US viewers, but that will be lifted eventually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Hi Doug, teaser trailers would be a great solution to sell the fence sitters, I'm sure most of them know full well, like I do, who Amy is.

I'm still a little confused as to why you say you need to negotiate with Youtube when all of their marketing and help page says 'you set the price and duration of rental'. Their customer facing help backs this up.

Their cut if I'm correct is via the Google checkout transaction fees, so for monthly sales under $3,000 it's 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. Maybe I'm totally missing something here and they're actually trying to take 50% of the sale price? Or there some hidden charge once you sign up as a rental content provider? I just can't seem to find that in their info however.

I do understand there's some added value in being able to stop and rewind etc, I just don't see that value at 100% (91% after Youtube cut). I can understand if you're in some revenue share and can't dip under $10, but even at $15, if my sums are correct you'd have $14.26 in revenue per viewing. More if sales go over $3K per month.

Anyhow it's your content so you can charge what you like for it. I'd just be more tempted to take the leap and rent one if the price was a touch lower.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Janitor

Youtube actually only takes 45%, not 50%. Google checkout is separate. I'm simply trying to maintain the $10 I'd make for a rebroadcast. And I can't set any price I'd like, my choices are $15 or $20, they have no increment in-between.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Doug - wow I'm amazed, very sneaky of them to not mention that anywhere in their public material. At least that I could see. In this case I'm totally behind you charging what you do and apologise totally for the inquiry!

I guess I'll just have to rent a tutorial and see for myself what all the fuss is about

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll be sure to post back after I've watched one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Janitor

45% is ridiculously high, and they wouldn't tell me the percentage until I signed all their papers (for all I know I just violated something by telling) but they don't require cash upfront or contracts like every other service does. I guess it's sort of like cellphone plans. Since I am a beta-tester, I am "suggesting" that they ease up a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Janitor

I'm getting a lot of comments, both pro and con, about the general idea of these shows on youtube, but very little feedback from anyone that has actually viewed one or more. Did it work as advertised? How did the playback look compared to a live show? Were you able to watch in full HD mode, or did you have to reduce it (and if so, what is your connection speed)? How was the payment process?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Janitor

I've added Steve Koshlap's first jewelry retouching show and Steve Caplin's layer masks show.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Doug,
I went to the site via the link from the email. I read the email as if there was one video posted as an example for us to see the content and quality but what I found from the link was an explanation of RP instead. I would like to see one video before committing. A lot of people will state that $20 is not a lot of money but when it comes to committing it is another story. I will speak frankly, I am not only frugal, but I am financially strapped beyond what is even considered "in-debt". So for me to plunk down $20 is not going to happen unless I know exactly what I am going to get. RP is a great forum with great content and members so I would be more likely to try something with you/RP than just any other thing that might look worthwhile, it comes down to personal relationships... albeit electronic relationships. I applaud you for stepping out and doing what others talk about and going the extra mile to help others, and for keeping it real by staying in touch with your customers.

doug s.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE