RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

I can see myself spending the $20 and then for some reason not being able to take advantage of it within that 72 hour period properly. Also if I want to review something after the 72 hours I have to repurchase. I suppose there is no way to put a number of views limit. I don't know. This is a tough one for you to figure out. Usually with these online seminars etc. the shows are for sale after the fact without any time limits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Surprised to hear that Google is taking a 45% cut... That is rather excessive. Hopefully they will institute more reasonable fees after the beta period and all will be well.

For myself I would feel a little more hesitancy to buy a show at $20 rather than say $15... I'd have no issue with a little extra for the benefits of Youtube but a doubling is unfortunate. I don't know if your agreement with the presenters makes this possible but if you could try a few of the shows at $15 maybe the larger sales numbers would make up for the lower per-viewing revenue. I could see myself (once they become available in Europe) watching a lot more of the shows than I am able to now when they are often on at rather inopportune times for myself.

Not to worry there are certainly some of the shows that I would watch for $20 but I would watch more for $15.

In any case at either price I am very glad to see them available in this format now and let me say a big thank you in general for producing these shows, the ones that I have viewed have been an absolute delight and the Amy Dressler show in particular gave me a whole new perspective on retouching, away from the all-too-common technical focus.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM

I have trouble watching anything on Youtube. Even though I'm supposed to have the highest level of Internet access available through my carrier (I live in the country and have satellite), I hear about three words and then it buffers, so it takes about three hours to view a 30 minute video. So, I wouldn't rent any of these. Sorry. I really enjoy the presentation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Janitor

If you have viewed one of these shows can we get some feedback about how it looked, how it worked for you, etc.?

Evidently there have been tens of views so far (well, maybe just ten, I have no way of telling) and I still have no idea of people's opinions of how this compares to a rebroadcast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
If you have viewed one of these shows can we get some feedback about how it looked, how it worked for you, etc.?

...people's opinions of how this compares to a rebroadcast.
It's been a couple of weeks since I viewed the one I watched, (Steve Caplin's "Selections and Pen Tool" about which I already posted ), but I would say that there was no difference in quality between the original broadcast (which I paid for/watched) and the YouTube version. The video was very good IMHO and the audio was not good once in a while which happens with every presentation done with Steve or others who are overseas from the U.S. The audio connection clears up after a couple of minutes and we don't really lose anything since Doug vamps for that time until we can hear Steve or other presenter again.

BTW, I noticed that none of Steve's videos are currently listed at YouTube (as of today 3/10/2010 at 1:23 MST). Hope they will be added again since he's one of my favorites.

Finding the time to watch such a video during a 72 hr. span can be unnerving - watching only takes the original 2 hours plus but trying to learn and practice parts we're watching takes time. If you stop working on it and take a break, then there's the fear that you'll miss the deadline and not finish all the practicing you want. I never finished within the 3 days because other things came up and when I went back to it, I was a little too late. When you decide to rent one, be as sure as you can be that you can schedule enough time to watch all the parts you want to and practice and watch again - playing and re-playing takes time and some people need to sleep/eat/do errands and chores, and some even have to go to work. This is a great chance to learn, and you need to have a clear schedule to concentrate with as few distractions as possible. It's not like renting a movie that we simply watch and maybe watch again during the rental period - we need time to work with the tips and techniques shown. Give yourself a LOT of time to enjoy it and practice with it.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-10-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add thoughts about working within deadline
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Janitor

Thanks for the feedback, I've notified youtube about the missing videos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Doug, they are still there - somewhere. When I do a search for Steve's name, two videos are listed (Layer Masks and Selections/Pen tool), but when I click on "See all uploads" - they are not listed. If I click on "most viewed" or "top rated", Steve's videos are listed -- along with "How to confuse an Idiot"...

Also - when I look at my YouTube subscriptions page - Steve's videos are the only ones missing.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM

I bought the Tarintino one the other day. Quality on 720 was very nice, I could see everything pretty close to actual screen quality. I couldn't play it on full HD, but I think that was a problem with YouTube, they seem to get pretty buggy sometimes.
All in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. I skipped over some of the parts because it was just talking, but I understand that since it was recorded from a live show.
I don't know how soon I'll buy another one, the $20 is a bit much for the length of a regular movie, about 2 hours worth of footage. But as I said, I did enjoy it, and I think you are on to something here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Such a good idea I tought but in Japan I can not see the videos for copyright reasons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Janitor

Steve Caplin's shows are visible again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE