RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

This is a great idea Doug - I hope it all pans out ok and the tutorials become available as part of the RP mainstream. I know you stipulate a 3 day viewing period - but would there be a consideration for a complete 'Re-broadcast' download for more bucks, maybe some of the older ones.... ? It would just add another dimension of end-userability, having it there on your hard drive, anytime and not have to worry about streaming speeds etc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Janitor

Again, never say never, but right now I'm concentrating on lowering the price and getting them viewable worldwide.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Janitor

Four more shows are now available for viewing:

Carrie Beene's product retouching show
Mikkel Aalands Lightroom Workflow show
Steve Caplin's very first show (where he makes a montage from start to finish)
Gry Garness' second show (retouching a child's image)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM

So I bit the bullet and tried it out from the UK. I've access to the US via a fast commercial VPN proxy. This gives me a US IP and I also have a US prepaid visa card that can use any address and validate as correct, this is needed for Google checkout to allow the rental. I'd not recommend anyone to go out and get this setup particularly to rent the RP live videos, it's just stuff I already have in place for other reasons, I gave it a go and it worked for me to a certain degree. I'm not going to go into details about whom these are with or why I have them, suffice to say they are for totally legitimate work reason. I presumed you wouldn't mind if I tried it out Doug

I rented the Amy Dresser 2 show. I could only stream at 720 not 1080, not sure if this was because of a bandwidth limitation from using the VPN or some other factor. Normal downloads through the VPN are usually fast enough to almost saturate my 50 MB connection, so it may have just been other factors at play. I'll try again at other times during the next 48 hours to see it it plays at all at 1080.

So how was the broadcast? Informative and enjoyable. I wish Youtube's player had better controls, trying to scrub back 20 seconds to review a part of the process generally ends up with jumping back too far and having to rewatch more than you wanted.

The 720 stream was passable, however some details like small brush strokes were hard to see, or even tell where on the screen Amy was working. I'm presuming with 1080 this would be a lot clearer.

There were occasional pauses while the stream rebuffered, but maybe only 5 or 6 times during the entire show. Again I'd assume this was due to the VPN proxy not Youtube, it certainly didn't spoil the experience and only lasted about 5 seconds each time.

Overall I'd say it was an enjoyable experience and interesting to see Amy's workflow. Whilst it's similar to how I retouch now I did pick up a few tricks and tips from the experience and for me that's what it's all about. Hearing Amy talk about the reasons why she does certain stuff and doesn't do other stuff was perhaps the most informative aspect.

Would I rent another show? Yes for sure. I'd still much prefer to pay $10 or $15, but even at $20 it's still worth it. At $10 - $15 I'd likely rent the entire catalogue over time. At $20 however it's a bit steep to do so.

I'd highly recommend anyone who wants to learn how to retouch to a higher level to check the rentals out or catch a live show. I know I'll be making extra effort to try and make one of the future live shows now.. $10 really is a bargain, especially seeing how you can ask questions as the show progresses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Janitor

Thank you for that review. What little I know about streaming would lead me to believe that latency more than bandwidth (or VPN overhead) was responsible for your viewing limitations. Once the beta ends the stream will be mirrored on youtube's servers worldwide so that will no longer be an issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Ahhh yes you're probably correct Doug. Any idea when it's due out of Beta?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Janitor

I wish they'd tell me, but they can't/won't. I just hope it doesn't end up being one of their perpetual betas (even if that is the case, it should gradually loosen up).

But it is still very early in the development process, lots of bugs and missing bits still.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM

I think this is a great idea and this is what i have been looking for since I'm never available for the live broadcasts but...it's too high for a test and limited to three days.

What about iTunes as a Podcast?

mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM

I really wish the price was $10 like the live shows. I would totally rent them...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Doug I would love to purchase viewing rights to the channel, and I have no problem with the price. But I don't have a life style that can mold to the 72 hour thing. The most I could fit in would be one or two videos, and then I don't feel like I'm getting the value worth.

I would pay more to have permanent viewing rights, or a longer period of time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE