RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE on YouTube (beta)

Hey Doug.

I'm from Germany so I can't view your videos in this "Beta".

But if you're unhappy with Youtube... what about iTunes?

This would be the best solution I think and you'll have more possibilities to sell your great content the way you want to.

Sure, the users will be able to download it easily. But hey, it's like micro stock. With fair prices and everywhere accessibility you gain a higher demand and more sales.

Best regards

Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imustbedead View Post
Doug I would love to purchase viewing rights to the channel, and I have no problem with the price. But I don't have a life style that can mold to the 72 hour thing. The most I could fit in would be one or two videos, and then I don't feel like I'm getting the value worth.

I would pay more to have permanent viewing rights, or a longer period of time.
I'm afraid it's even more of a disappointment than you think. Your rental is for one movie, just like at the video store (or does anyone even still use those?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G. View Post
But if you're unhappy with Youtube... what about iTunes?
iTunes won't reply to my (many) email inquiries. Word is they won't deal with individuals for their rentals.

I can't say I'm unhappy with YouTube, mostly just frustrated. If they'd change just a couple of things (which they very well may) I'd be delighted with them. And it wasn't like I chose them over another alternative. At this point they are the only choice for this quality of service at this low of a volume. And they know it (hence my frustration).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 AM

I agree with Jose, $10 for a live interactive show in which you can ask questions vs $20 for non-interactive seems a tad high. Having the ability to go back and forward to different points will be beneficial and having it available for 3 days is great too however $10 is kind of throwaway money whereas at $20 you start to think much harder. I might want to see two live shows with different techniques instead.
Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Janitor

The lowest bid I've ever gotten (which required me to sign a contract committing to $12,000/yr volume and pay several thousand upfront) would allow me to price the shows at $15. Needless to say at this early stage I'm not comfortable with that commitment.

And these shows are for people who can't attend the live shows, or missed them when they aired, so it's not a case of $20 vs. $10, it's a case of $20 vs. not seeing a particular show.

Perhaps I should just raise the live show price, then no one would object to the rental price
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 AM

Man I just want all the shows on a DVD or a access to them whenever. I would pay a lot more then $10 or $20 for that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 AM

Do not understand what's all the fuss about ? 20$ is too much ? Come on - are U kidding ? 72 hours - back and forth with pros that know how to do it ! Almost the same as one-on-one with Deke. My advise for U Doug - DO NOT MAKE IT DOWNLOADABLE - next day view of these videos will drop drasticalle as all of them will be avaiable at rapidshare, hotfile, magaupload, etc. It is good the way it is and the price is right !!! That is what I have waited for - I can pause the show - think about what I have senn, reconsider and what is most essential take notes with best workflows, how to do it and why. I am from Poland - have been to US and tell U that U earn in a week what we make in a month. But if U want to become pro in any profession U have to invest your time and money. If U do not want spend just 20$ per rental show start thinking about different profession and get rid of pirate software that U have on your mac or pc - I mean Photoshop.

Doug I am waiting for notification whem videos will be avaialble in Poland and more shows concernig high end jewellery retouching - rings, necklases, obtaining right color of gold, silver, platinum, etc., best workflows.

Thank God for RP !
Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 AM

I hate that youtube rental - only US !!! It's unacceptable!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Hi Doug,

How long it will be in beta ? It is almost a month, and I am visiting youtube almost everyday, just to look at these great names next to each show ! I JUST WANT TO PUT MY HANDS ON THESE TUTORIALS - BADLY !!! Gry Garness - I just bought her CS4 ebook today that is best spend money for a long time, Amy Dresser - no need to say whom she is, Chris Tarantino - should retouch photo of... Uma Thurman ,and of course Carrie Beene. COME ON - I AM TIRED OF WAITING. I WANT THESE VIDEOS TO BE OBTAINED WORLDWIDE !!! I do not join tommorow show with Amy, just because I want her for 72h not only 2 !!! Is Youtube the only option BTW ?

Regards
Tom from Poland
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Janitor

I feel your pain. YouTube won't give me any clue. But it is still very early in the beta (they still don't even have a working reporting system, and the upload system is very buggy).

People underestimate how complex something like this is. It's far more than simply putting a file on a server somewhere. It's even more complicated than running a streaming server. Adding in the ecommerce, etc., only multiplies the complexity. Then take that entire system and mirror it to hundreds of servers worldwide (it's not unusual for the stream source to switch servers a dozen times or more during a single viewing, to contantly keep the stream flowing via the fastest possible route).

I realize viewers aren't interested in what's going on behind-the-scenes, they just want what they want NOW! But as frustrated as I am with YouTube, it currently is the only game in town for us, and I'm glad they're taking the time to set things up right to avoid the inevitable backlash of frustrated customers who pay and aren't happy with the quality of their viewing experience.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE