Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Rodney

Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Ro

The ticket sales link is now closed.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).

Come back to this thread after the show and tell us your thoughts about it. Also, give us your requests for future shows with Andrew Rodney.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Janitor

Here's the link for Andrew's slides and notes. Its a 2MB file:

http://www.retouchpro.com/live/Retou...E_CMS_show.zip
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Patron

Red face Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Ro

Really good and very informative show, even though my pupils are now permanently dilated, and there is a wisp of smoke rising from my fried brain. And if it were a vis-a-vis in a classroom they would have thrown me out (I ask so many questions in these shows I think Doug would probably like to do that anyway...) because I sat in front of my computer and on pretty much everything that was said I kept saying like a five year old "Why? why? and why?" Wish I could have got all the answers but which I know is impossible.

If wishes were horses what I would like now is a diagram that shows - Do you do this (as in web or print)? yes or no choice and depending on your answer an arrow takes you to the next question. This being as I don't do any web work, everything is for print and I had a bit of a problem comprehending which set of settings I should really be focusing in on.
I think I did learn a lot though, and the proof will be in the pudding when I print my next set of images or see the results of the work I send to a printer.

You can't learn it all in one show though so - hint hint - another one in this series would be wonderful!
Thank you gentlemen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Love the style of the presentation, its a show everyone should watch. Really enjoyed it !!!

WELL DONE GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Great show!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Talking Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Ro

I agree! Great information. Andrew, I've ordered your book and I'm really looking forward to getting it in as our studio has all of the high-end equipment (minus the NEC monitor that you're using...for now) and we are always running into to "my prints are much darker than my monitor". so we actually calibrate our printer every single day with a gretagmacbeth photospectometer in hopes that that will fix everything. Weeeell, it ain't.

So I'm very much looking forward to using what I learned today in conjunction with your book to remedy our situation as much as possible. Any luck on having a seminar on "How to dote-slap others when they adjust colors on my image on the server"?

Thanks to both Doug and Andrew for a great show. Please do more!!!

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Great presentation Andrew.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 PM

I enjoyed this show and believe that I learned a few of the many concepts/procedures outlined. I have read Mr. Rodney's website and others numerous times over the years -- gleaning tips of what to do/how to do while trying not to get lost in the theory which is more than I can absorb. Seeing Andrew go thru the basic steps helped me to figure out my workflow. The biggest "aha" moment was seeing the raw file change in ACR from Adobe1998 with clipped highlights/clipped shadows to ProPhoto with no clipping -- that was even better than the pictures of color spaces. Interesting also to hear of new printers and other devices that are expanding their ability to render/read larger color spaces.

Thanks for offering your lessons in pdf format for our use -- that's a very nice addition to the webinar, and makes it easier for us to comprehend your teachings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
The biggest "aha" moment was seeing the raw file change in ACR from Adobe1998 with clipped highlights/clipped shadows to ProPhoto with no clipping -- that was even better than the pictures of color spaces.
In that example, the clipping was saturation of one or maybe two channels. The rendering controls pushed the saturation to clip in sRGB due to its small gamut. But after just switching to ProPhoto, saturation clipping is long gone because that color space gamut is so much bigger. Just wanted to point that out because if we had true highlight clipping (all three channels clipped), the color space selection would not help us here. We would have to later the Exposure slider, maybe Recovery or curves to reduce or remove the clipping.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Andrew...

On page 22 of the presentation notes PDF, it says"Use No Color Management setting if you previously used Convert to Profile". Can you explain this to me? Here's my situation: I use an older 9-ink HP printer the 8750. HP's tech and PR literature from back in 2005 talked about this printer and inks matching closely to sRGB. I've found that I get major color shifts, mostly in vibrant greens, when I send an Adobe RGB file to the printer, so I've been converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB for printing certain photos. Should I be selecting "No Color Management" instead of "Photoshop Manages Colors"? (I use Photoshop CS4 on a Windows PC)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE