RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Rodney

Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Rodney

I'm pleased to announce our next all-new live RetouchPRO LIVE show will feature author and trainer Andrew Rodney as he explains and demonstrates color management.

You'll finally learn to get your printer matching your monitor, the difference between calibrating and profiling, and what all those terms like "color space" and "gamut" mean to you. We'll start with the absolute basics and work our way up through professional workflows.

Anyone interested in accurate color should attend, as no one is better suited to make color management finally clear to you than Andrew. His book is one of the standard texts on the subject. And perhaps more important than his demonstration is that he will also be answering audience questions about color management.

Saturday, June 26, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rodney

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 06-24-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Management" w/Andrew Ro

Hi Doug,

Will the show be covering colour management for older PS versions as well? I'm still using PS 7, and the subject matter sounds really useful.

Thanks,
Erik N
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Janitor

Andrew will be using Photoshop CS5, but will also point out the changes. I don't know about as far back as 7, but I suspect most of it's the same from CS3 back. Regardless, the concepts will be portable to any color-managed app.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the quick response!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Oh oh oh! Please Please PLEASE have a rebroadcast of this later!! Not only because this is very important, general PS Howto that EVERYONE needs to know, but also because I've been desperately trying to figure this out for over a year with my new printer, and I have a previous engagement on Saturday

Thanks for the awesome topic though!
-Troy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Janitor

It will definitely be rebroadcast (probably a week from Wednesday), plus it will be available for rental on YouTube shortly after that. But we will miss you at the live show. This topic lends itself to audience questions even more than usual.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Janitor

A thought:

The more audience members ask questions, the better and more informative a show is. So even if you're not planning on asking questions, it's still in your best interest to have as many audience members ask questions as possible.

So invite as many people as you know how to reach to Saturday's show.

More audience members = more questions = you learn more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernolander View Post
Will the show be covering colour management for older PS versions as well? I'm still using PS 7, and the subject matter sounds really useful.
Not much significant has changed with respect to color management since around Photoshop 6. A few tweaks here or there but nothing major. Lightroom, Camera Raw, that’s a bit different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Andrew, I will have to watch this on rebroadcast, thus not be able to ask questions live. I'd love it if you could cover LUT vs Matrix monitor profiles and which are preferred by the various image editing applications.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Andrew, I will have to watch this on rebroadcast, thus not be able to ask questions live. I'd love it if you could cover LUT vs Matrix monitor profiles and which are preferred by the various image editing applications.
There are two basic types of ICC profiles: LUT and Matrix. LUT based profiles are small in size (about 4K) and very simple. An example would be the RGB working space profiles we use (sRGB, Adobe RGB (1998) etc). They simply define a white point like D50, chromaticity values (where red, green and blue plot in color space) and a gamma or TRC (2.2, 1.8).

Matrix profiles are also called table based profiles. Larger, up to 4mb for a CMYK profile, more complex. They have all three tables for picking a rendering intent. Usually seen for printer profiles where a lot of data is necessary. Some store the measured data making them even larger in size.

Some software products ask you, when building profiles for devices like a display if you want a LUT or Matrix profile. If asked, pick Matrix. Its not something where size is important, you are not embedding such profiles into documents going to the internet where size is an issue. You’ll get better results because there is more data to use.

Matrix printer profiles as mentioned can be large but in all but very rare cases is that a concern. Say you are sending someone a book with 300 images for CMYK output to a specific press. If each image has a 2mb CMYK profile embedded, you’re looking at an additional 600mb of data to send just for a single profile in each image. In such a case, if the shop is simply going to send the CMYK numbers to the press, they never need to view the images or further convert them, then there is no reason to embed the profile into all those documents. So again, the only “downside” to a Matrix profile is its size.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE