RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Ethics" with Steve Caplin

Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "Ethics" with Steve Caplin

I'm giving early notice for this very special all-new live RetouchPRO LIVE show because I feel it should be required viewing for everyone. I'm hoping this early notice will give you time to ask your friends and co-workers to join us.

Steve Caplin is a professional photoillustrator, and has to wrestle with the questions we'll be discussing on a daily basis.

From Steve:
"We all manipulate photographs - some for fun, some of us for a living. But is what we do morally, socially and ethically acceptable? Are there boundaries beyond which we may not venture? And is there a difference between what we shoot in camera, and what we edit on our computers later?

In this lively show, I'll begin by looking at the history of photomontage, and of altering images in general - and it goes back much further than we think. We'll be looking at examples of deliberately modified images from the 16th Century to the present day, and asking: do we ever have the right to do this?

In the second half of the show, I'll push your tolerance to the limits by presenting an increasing difficult series of ethical questions, played out against the background of a jobbing photographer trying to earn a living. Just how far can he go without overstepping the limits? It's your decision.

WARNING: this show contains some images that some viewers might find disturbing."

Watch live via your web browser as Steve Caplin investigates the ethical questions every retoucher faces (or should face) every day. He'll be answering questions and asking for audience feedback along the way. He'll answer more general questions at the end if time permits.

Wednesday, July 7, 2pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=caplin

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 07-02-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Ethics" with Steve Caplin

From an email exchange with Steve:

"I'll be adding in a section specifically relating to photo retouchers. Thought I'd include a couple of examples of my own work here - the Readers Digest cover, that one of the naked model (but tastefully so) from the Guardian extreme overhaul I did, and maybe a couple of others."
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Patron

Wink Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Ethics" with Steve Caplin

Looking forward to this, and to Steve's definitions of the ins and outs, ups and downs of photo manipulation. Attached are two copies of a picture I took in Hammersmith last year, and wanting it for us at least, to have an even more "Deep sigh and how soon can we go back, Oh my remember the buffet breakfast at the Novotel?" feel, I replaced the bus's original ad with one from BA. I will now find out, even if it is for personal use only, whether this would be considered wrong in any way.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammersmith3.jpg (79.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Hammersmith4.jpg (74.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Janitor

The timing couldn't be better for this photo ethics scandal:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...f-the-picture/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Patron

Tut, tut and not the Pharoah... Reuters are full of rubbish, they have been doing that for years, they just have not been caught at it too often. But now that people are more aware of photo manipulation and that so little of what we see is "real" anymore, they have become more aware and are on the lookout, especially when it is "in your face".

In the old days it was "Spot the ball" a weekly newspaper contest with a prize that you won by placing the football (soccer) exactly in the picture during the match from the point of removal, and that... was back in the 60's. Oh Oh.... just dated myself a smidgen. Ahem... I was but a wee bairn.

Now I am all fired up waiting on this webinar, and shall have to crazy glue my fingers together so as to not get carried away during the question process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM

The many times I do retouching/montage is to make my photos more appealing or commercial; but i do agree, that "retouchers" should be careful to do as much without changing the "story"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Janitor

The slippery relationship between design and meaning, and the potential professional consequences of misjudgement are why I feel this show is so important for professionals (and aspiring professionals).

Getting this wrong is the photo equivalent of leaving a sponge in a patient or not checking your products for cadmium.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Janitor

Should Apple be invited to watch?
http://i.imgur.com/huWri.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Ahh, but what about art versus photojournalism?

Can't wait for this webinar.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in just a few minutes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE