RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "CMYK" with Andrew Rodney

Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "CMYK" with Andrew Rodney

On our next all-new live RetouchPRO LIVE, color guru Andrew Rodney returns to answer your questions about working with CMYK. Andrew's slides and notes will be downloadable after the show.

From Andrew:
"CMYK has been called the Devils colorspace. After all, God created RGB and man created CMYK, which would you rather use? For many, the options are not clear cut. Do we and should we send CMYK to our clients? What are the potential pitfalls? In this seminar, I'll cover what are best practices for making the best possible CMYK conversions and discuss what to do when you simply can't follow these procedures. Some areas covered will be:
  • What's a contract proof, what to aim for in conversions, why you wouldn't necessarily profile the press.
  • Black generation, TAC and CMYK target values. Learn the lingo, communicate with the printing house.
  • What really is SWOP, GRACOL and other standard print conditions. Can they be the solution?
  • When and when not to send RGB to the printer and why photographers might do their own Seps.
  • Using a desktop printer (Epson) to make loose color proofs for a CMYK process.
  • Using the the "Custom Proof Setup" dialog to preview CMYK press output
  • Absolute versus Relative versus Perceptual rendering intents, when to use what
  • better "proofs" from inkjet printers/using the print options box
  • "how do I convert and prepare CMYK files for clients when they have virtually no specific press information"
This event will be another color geek fest but this one might save your bacon if you have clients expecting you to deal with CMYK reproduction!"

Saturday, July 31, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rodney
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "CMYK" with Andrew Rodney

I think some people might be intimidated by this topic, but if you have even remote ambitions of working commercially you really need to be conversant with all this. And we'll make it as painless as possible. And if it's still not painless enough, you can always ask questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Janitor

Seriously, dudes, we need your help getting the word out about this show. I can't post about it anywhere since it's my show (learned the hard way not all sites are as open to owners posting links to their websites as this one) and 99% of my announcement emails get caught in spam filters.

So as you make your rounds of your favorite blogs and forums today and tomorrow, post this link:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rodney

If you want more of these serious, advanced shows you're going to have to help us get the word out that they exist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in about 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in 1 hour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link is now closed.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).

Come back to this thread after the show and tell us your thoughts about it. Also, give us your requests for future shows with Andrew Rodney.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Janitor

Here's the download link for Andrew's slides and notes. Its a 1.5MB file:

http://www.retouchpro.com/live/CMYKrodney.zip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 05:25 PM

Fascinating technical show. I think I'm going to have to watch it again on reruns to actually gel the knowledge; but this was definitely an illuminating show. Thank you!!

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Patron

You know that I am a HUGE fan of the webinars, but it has become blatantly obvious to me that I am a moron, and unless there is a webinar called "Colour Management for Cretins," then I am way out of my league.

I remember many years ago when asking one of the designers in the very large Media Department of my workplace at the time, what bleed I should use when sending my file to the printer? (I was not working in the Media Department) her telling me that it was no big deal, just drag the image out a little on all sides. Well now I know that was crazy talk, but I would still love to see a show on Colour Managment but aimed at a lower trajectory. More of what we need to do to survive without having my eyes glaze over due to an abrupt cessation of synapsis. No one's fault but mine.
Excedrin - here I come.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 PM

I would have loved to follow the webinar, but my best friend stood at my door right before it started, so I had no chance to (we were having a hard time, so I couldn't just send her away).
Will there be a rebroadcast soon :-)?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE