RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE Photo Restoration Wayne Palmer rebroadcast

Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Re: RP LIVE Photo Restoration Wayne Palmer rebroad

Congratulations. Another first class show.

A question! I missed a crucial part even though I watched and heard it twice. Correcting Silvering using adjustment layers with levels. I missed the very first part of the process which involved setting up the selections immedately before using levels,.Could you please give me a brief outline of the steps.

Thankyou.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Janitor

Select > Color Range

Choose "Blues" from dropdown menu and click OK

Make any adjustment layer (he used levels) and change blend mode to Difference
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 01:00 AM

I found this a very useful and informative show. I have been using the technique Wayne showed us to colour, adding a new adjustment layer for Hue/Saturation, selecting the colour and brushing it in. I am finding using the mouse very hard on the hand and wrist, and would like to ask if it is possible to add selections to this layer with the chosen colour once it has been started? I think this would make it a much faster more accurate in some areas, and easier process for me. PS is such an incredible piece of software but boy do I find it hard to find my way around it!!

Method I am using with the adjustment layer selected is - Quick selection tool to select area to add to the layer - Edit - Fill - selecting colour from Pantone list - clicking OK - NOTHING!

Last edited by maverick911; 10-18-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Janitor

I'd really suggest getting a tablet.

Press Q to enter Quickmask with the selection active and you can use any of Photoshop's tools to add or otherwise alter the selection. Press Q again when you're finished altering the selection.

If you're in the US, you might want to check out Steve Caplin's Selections RP LIVE show over on our YouTube channel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Patron

Hi Maverick,
I completely agree re the tablet. I know times are tough - my better half has been out of work going on 2 years and we are approaching the event horizon here, but... hopefully things are better in your neck of the woods, and although I have an Intuos3 (never upgraded to a 4 as from the looks of it they did not take lefties into consideration in the design?) and I am always surprised when I hear people say on the webinars that it takes some getting used to.

Maybe it is because my life as a creative began with traditional art so for me it was ye olde duck to water, but I use it for everything. I hardly if ever use my mouse as my stylus takes that roll and in the morning when I sit at my desk to even open my email I reach for my stylus instead of the mouse. I know that the bamboo is not terribly expensive and trust me, once you use a tablet you will be sending your mouse to have it bronzed somewhere and stick it in your historical archives.
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Thank you both for that this is something I have never considered. If I buy a tablet, can I continue to use the mouse as well?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
I'd really suggest getting a tablet.

Press Q to enter Quickmask with the selection active and you can use any of Photoshop's tools to add or otherwise alter the selection. Press Q again when you're finished altering the selection.

If you're in the US, you might want to check out Steve Caplin's Selections RP LIVE show over on our YouTube channel.
Doug, I have tried this without success. I am selecting the existing Hue/Saturation layer and pressing Q after making a selection, which makes all of the image red bar the selected area. Then Edit - Fill - Use Color (which brings up color library) hitting OK with blending mode on normal, opacity 1% and nothing changes?

Last edited by maverick911; 10-18-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Patron

But of course! And sans doute (as the French would say). I have both installed, I just rarely use my mouse, but I am probably the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Patron

PS - Should also have mentioned, that while I am left handed, I use the mouse with my right hand. So if needs be I can work with the stylus in my left and the mouse in my right, which does wonders for achieving warp speed!

Last edited by TriniK; 10-18-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniK View Post
But of course! And sans doute (as the French would say). I have both installed, I just rarely use my mouse, but I am probably the exception rather than the rule.
Thank you Trinik.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE