Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Zombie" with Scott Valentine

Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Zombie" with Scott Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpearce2001 View Post
What is the Daz 3D normal price? Scott mentioned they have it on sale right now, but I don't see anything that indicates a sale price. GREAT PRESENTATION btw!

Becky
Thanks, Becky! I love doing these shows.

The email I got from Daz mentioned the sale price was 50% off regular, but when I checked I saw the same thing. Looking a little more closely, I think the sale price was for members of their Platinum club, which I didn't think to ask about. Check their site for info on membership; I'll see if I can get some clarification.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokki View Post
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the presentation - I know a lot of it flies by, and I actually left out a few elements for refinement. It's tough to know who is at what level without immediate feedback, which is why Doug puts up these threads.

So - how can I help?
Thanks for the response...This was definitely a bit advanced for my rookie PS user status...I have used it for little this's and that's but I have never delved into the alpha channels and layer masks so I got completely lost.

Thanks for the offer to help, but I honestly don't even know where to begin to ask. I was fiddling with what I have (CS) and could find a lot of the workarounds you suggested...(liquefy is much too fun)...but then I lost track of the step by step that you went through. If I had saved the video it would have made life much easier to go back and flip through it when I get stuck somewhere. I truly thought it was a great presentation and an amazingly impressive transformation.

I really like the CS5 and may purchase it in the future...but by that time...this tutorial will be a little pile of dust swept out of my brain.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Masking and alpha channels are definitely in the "must-have" category for most of my techniques. When I build a curriculum, I typically stick these ideas right up front, just after discussing the idea of layers.

The main similarity between layer masks and alpha channels is that of transparency. A mask is a specialized channel dedicated to a particular layer, with black being transparent and white being opaque. What you are doing with a mask is telling the pixels in a layer to vary their opacity. However, the pixels are still there.

The main difference between masks and alpha channels is the idea if selection. An alpha channel is really aimed at storing a complex selection that you can load later on or share with other documents. As you saw in the presentation, that selection can be quite intricate, and it can be modified with filters and adjustments. While you can apply an alpha channel to a mask, you can also load an alpha channel as a selection and fill that selection on a new layer.

Here's the tricky part... when you adjust opacity of a pixel layer with a mask, the pixels are still there, but you can see through them: they have an imposed opacity. When you fill a selection from an alpha channel and the level of gray in the alpha channel causes a pixel to have an inherent opacity. What does that mean?

'Imposed' opacity means the pixel is modified after it's been put in place, but even if it's invisible, it really is still there. You can demonstrate this if you try to apply a drop shadow or bevel layer effect - these effects only apply to edges. An edge can be thought of as relating to "there-ness", or "how much of a pixel is really there". If a pixel is solid but transparent, it's still there on the canvas, so it doesn't have an edge when compared to its neighbor which may be completely visible.

When you use a mask to adjust the opacity, you are not changing the edge at all, regardless of what your mask looks like. If you fill a layer with a solid color and use a layer mask, you still don't get a drop shadow where the mask is.

On the other hand, if you fill a selection on a new layer from an alpha channels that has levels of gray, those levels define "there-ness". A 100% opaque pixel area next to a 50% opaque pixel area will show an edge (that is, the alpha channel has a white area next to a 50% gray area). This is 'inherent' opacity. Likewise, boundaries between black and white will have an edge, and the rate of change between the white and black areas tells you how sharp or hard that edge is.

A solid white rectangle in a field of black on an alpha channel will give you a selection with a hard edge, and the layer effect will show you that edge. A 75% gray rectangle on a 50% gray field in the alpha channel will give you a less pronounced, but still sharp edge. If you blur the edges of the rectangles, that edge spreads out, and the effect becomes 'graded', or changes in intensity as you move toward or away from a solid region.

The best way to see it all is to fire up Photoshop, fill an alpha channel with simple shapes and different levels of contrast, load them as a selection and paste to a new, blank layer. Apply a Bevel/Emboss filter and see how that filter is applied.

Last edited by lokki; 11-03-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

**KABOOM!!!!***

The sound of my head exploding...thanks for that explanation...it is a bit much to absorb, but I have been fiddling with stuff since the lesson and can better understand this aspect.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokki View Post
Masking and alpha channels are definitely in the "must-have" category for most of my techniques. When I build a curriculum, I typically stick these ideas right up front, just after discussing the idea of layers.

The main similarity between layer masks and alpha channels is that of transparency. A mask is a specialized channel dedicated to a particular layer, with black being transparent and white being opaque. What you are doing with a mask is telling the pixels in a layer to vary their opacity. However, the pixels are still there.

The main difference between masks and alpha channels is the idea if selection. An alpha channel is really aimed at storing a complex selection that you can load later on or share with other documents. As you saw in the presentation, that selection can be quite intricate, and it can be modified with filters and adjustments. While you can apply an alpha channel to a mask, you can also load an alpha channel as a selection and fill that selection on a new layer.

Here's the tricky part... when you adjust opacity of a pixel layer with a mask, the pixels are still there, but you can see through them: they have an imposed opacity. When you fill a selection from an alpha channel and the level of gray in the alpha channel causes a pixel to have an inherent opacity. What does that mean?

'Imposed' opacity means the pixel is modified after it's been put in place, but even if it's invisible, it really is still there. You can demonstrate this if you try to apply a drop shadow or bevel layer effect - these effects only apply to edges. An edge can be thought of as relating to "there-ness", or "how much of a pixel is really there". If a pixel is solid but transparent, it's still there on the canvas, so it doesn't have an edge when compared to its neighbor which may be completely visible.

When you use a mask to adjust the opacity, you are not changing the edge at all, regardless of what your mask looks like. If you fill a layer with a solid color and use a layer mask, you still don't get a drop shadow where the mask is.

On the other hand, if you fill a selection on a new layer from an alpha channels that has levels of gray, those levels define "there-ness". A 100% opaque pixel area next to a 50% opaque pixel area will show an edge (that is, the alpha channel has a white area next to a 50% gray area). This is 'inherent' opacity. Likewise, boundaries between black and white will have an edge, and the rate of change between the white and black areas tells you how sharp or hard that edge is.

A solid white rectangle in a field of black on an alpha channel will give you a selection with a hard edge, and the layer effect will show you that edge. A 75% gray rectangle on a 50% gray field in the alpha channel will give you a less pronounced, but still sharp edge. If you blur the edges of the rectangles, that edge spreads out, and the effect becomes 'graded', or changes in intensity as you move toward or away from a solid region.

The best way to see it all is to fire up Photoshop, fill an alpha channel with simple shapes and different levels of contrast, load them as a selection and paste to a new, blank layer. Apply a Bevel/Emboss filter and see how that filter is applied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 04-19-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental on our international rentals page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Hey Doug, I ordered this on youtube rentals and the 720p and 1080p audio is playing extremely slow. At first I thought it was a Halloween joke cause it sounded purposely distorted.
480p is working without a hitch. I have tried it on Firefox, chrome, and IE.
Has anyone else reported this problem? Is there a fix for it?
here is my test result from speedtest.net http://www.speedtest.net/result/1525701318.png

anyhow I will enjoy watching this is in 480p in the mean time. Thanks for this one - I've always wanted to learn how to do this!

Loving the rentals keep em coming!

Last edited by Conrad_T; 10-09-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added speedtest results and comliments
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Janitor

You're right, it is corrupted on YouTube. I'd suggest putting in for a refund there and watching it here. This is the first I've heard about this, but I did report the problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm now watching it from here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE