RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes" with Scott Valentine

Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes" with Scott Valen

Hated to miss this one and thought I'd either try when rescheduled or when it is eventually posted on youtube...however, based on the response above...will there be an issue with audio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Hated to miss this one and thought I'd either try when rescheduled or when it is eventually posted on youtube...however, based on the response above...will there be an issue with audio?
Skydog,

I didn't have any trouble at all with the Audio here in Indianapolis. Well, other than Doug interrupting too often. :o)~

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPurfect View Post
Here is a link to a Video from Calvin Hollywood...
Thanks for posting the link, David - I'll add it to the blog resources

Good job with the snow - can you share how you used the Subtract mode? If you added a curves adjustment layer set to Luminosity mode, you might be able to push the snow closer to white without losing detail or shifting colors.

-Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokki View Post
Thanks for posting the link, David - I'll add it to the blog resources

Good job with the snow - can you share how you used the Subtract mode? If you added a curves adjustment layer set to Luminosity mode, you might be able to push the snow closer to white without losing detail or shifting colors.

-Scott
I used Calvin's method to create a night feel. I stamped a layer and then switched it to subtract and ran a GB at 250 pixels and then reduced the opacity to 18%. Orginally, I used a radial gradient mask to bring a little light back to the corner of the tail light.

After your post I added a mask from a calculation of the blue and green channels curved for the snow and voila! You're right, big improvment.

You can click on the image on flikr and that will pop it on to a black background where you can click at the top to quickly switch back and forth to highlight the improvement. (newer and older) The snow did have a red cast from the early sun and the rust colored siding on the house.

Thanks,

David

Snowed In - Masked by Pixel Purfect, on Flickr
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Near the start of the presentation, Scott showed some of the math involved. How can I obtain a copy of what was shown?

TonyP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
Near the start of the presentation, Scott showed some of the math involved. How can I obtain a copy of what was shown?

TonyP
Here's some (look for "Formulas"): http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/blend1/blend1.htm
However I find this one here extremely good for just the maths: http://simpelfilter.de/en/basics/mixmods.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
In addition to what Der_W posted, I'll add more links here (when I get home) that illustrate how some folks have tried to estimate what Adobe does. I say 'estimate' because Adobe won't release the exact kernels or equations used, but I think many are pretty close.

The various pages I've found range from general equations to language-specific code; I think both are important to present.

-Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Scott discussed a method for removing color casts during yesterdays presentation. Missed most of this discussion due to frozen sound/video. Is the method available in notes, which I haven't found, or can someone provide a description? Thanks for a good explanation of blending modes.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi Ed,

Sorry about the video issues - I'm sure Doug will be able to answer questions about that.

As for the color cast removal, the steps are pretty straightforward:
  • Duplicate the image layer
  • Filter > Blur > Average (this causes the layer to take the overall tone and fill with a solid color)
  • Invert the color layer
  • Set the color layer's blend mode to Color
  • Lower the color layer's opacity to around 20-30%, or until the cast is minimized

As an added bonus, you can refine this by attaching a Curves adjustment layer to the color fill layer, and using the Blend If sliders on the color layer itself. If you need more details on this last part, just ask

-Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Scott: Thanks for a quick reply. Will try this on my troubling images. Again, good descriptions for blending. Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE