RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes" with Scott Valentine

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes" with Scott Valentine

What happens when you ask a Los Alamos physicist to deconstruct Photoshop's blend modes and explain what's actually going on when we change a layer to "Soft Light" or brush with "Color Burn"?

You'll get to see the result for yourself on our next all-new RetouchPRO LIVE with Scott Valentine. He's promised to back off on the heavy math (unless someone asks). He's also building a support website with demonstration images and downloadable PDFs (the link will be provided in the show).

From Scott:
"During the show, I'll discuss a little of the math behind some of the different modes, but the focus will be on understanding how they can be used in practical, sometimes surprising, techniques. What I'll really try to drill home is the methodology I use when approaching imaging challenges and experimentation. As a little teaser, did you know you can use blend modes to develop complex masks? How about increasing apparent sharpness and detail nondestructively? I'll share as much of my secrets to reverse engineering and experimenting with blend modes as time allows."

As with all our live shows, you'll be able to ask questions and provide ongoing feedback to help guide the show.

Saturday, January 8, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=valentine

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 01-06-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes" with Scott Valen

The ticket sales link is now closed.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).

Come back to this thread after the show and tell us your thoughts about it. Also, give us your requests for future shows with Scott Valentine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Janitor

Here's the link to the support materials Scott promised. He'll be adding more in a bit:

http://lightningsymphony.com/photoshop-blend-modes/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Patron

Can anyone sketch out for me Calvin Hollywood's neat trick? The sound in the webinar froze repeatedly while Scott was describing how to do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Blend Modes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Can anyone sketch out for me Calvin Hollywood's neat trick? The sound in the webinar froze repeatedly while Scott was describing how to do it.
I'm sorry about the sound - we'll look into it before my next show. But thanks for sticking in there!

The recipe is pretty simple, and I'll post a version on my blog, but here's the trick:
  • Duplicate the background layer of your photo, and invert the duplicate
  • Set the duplicate's blend mode to Vivid Light (everything should pretty much be gray)
  • Use Surface Blur to bring out details, but not halos. This will require different settings for every image, but a good rule of thumb is to keep both sliders at about the same value.
  • Create a new, blank layer above the other two, and use 'The Claw' to create a copy of the Vivid Light layer, but in Normal mode (Shift+Opt/Alt+Cmd/Ctrl+E)
  • Turn off the Vivid Light layer's visibility
  • Set the duplicated layer at the top to Overlay blend mode

Try various settings when possible, including doing some dodge and burn on the Overlay layer, or attaching a Curves adjustment to it.

The technique is best used with moderately contrasty, large images (2000px or larger on a side).

-Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM

I've updated the blog page with some of the demo files, and will continue to add recipes over the coming days.

Thanks to everyone for attending!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 AM

I couldnt get to the first hour of the seminar, I`m in Australia so I cannot access the replayed videos on youtube it doesn`t allow my region according to the video rental, can I get a link to watch the seminar again?

I didnt understand the 2nd hour as well as I could have due to missing the first part.

please help,

regards
Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Janitor

Send me an email (contact link at bottom of this page).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Here is a link to a Video from Calvin Hollywood. Scroll down till you find "Freaky Details."
It's pretty cool.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2010/archives/8691

Thank you Scott Valentine!

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Here is my quick try with Blend Modes after watching Scott's presentation.

I used Vivid Light, Overlay and Subtract. No other edits, just blend modes, opacity and a radial mask on the subract layer.

Snowed In by Pixel Purfect, on Flickr
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE