RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RP LIVE "Impish" w/Chris Tarantino (rebroadcast)

Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Janitor

RP LIVE "Impish" w/Chris Tarantino (rebroadcast)

We've done a lot of technical and theory rebroadcasts lately, so for our next RetouchPRO LIVE rebroadcast we'll be concentrating on classic beauty retouching, with an emphasis on fine skin work.

Watch via your browser as professional beauty retoucher Chris Tarantino performs what might be his most involved retouch for us yet. Just take a look at the before/after. Compare the lips and eyebrows, and the overall skin, and you'll have some small idea of what we're in for this time.

Acne scars, shiny skin, ragged hairline, unruly eyebrows, neck folds, and a tattoo...all this on top of needing his famous skin technique. And, as if that wasn't enough, we get Chris's inside story of dealing with a unique and demanding client.

Wednesday, March 2, 6am or 2pm CST (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rebroadcast

This show is now available for rental.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 04-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Re: RP LIVE "Impish" w/Chris Tarantino (rebroadcas

Darn, another one on a Wednesday, would have signed up. Any chance it will ever be rebroadcast on a Saturday?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Janitor

The ticket sales link for the AM show is now closed. However, you still have a few hours to sign up for the PM show.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If it's not there, check the inbox for the email account you use for PayPal.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active. You should also try another browser.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Retouch Pro LIVE "Impish" w/Chris Tarantino

Hi all
I have attended this seminar with much hope I learn a lot from Chris Tarantino. After attending this seminar, the truth is that I feel cheated, and not because I question the level of Chris who is a great retoucher and inspiration for all of us involved in this.
First, the editing process was an image with long time work for which the sum of two hours has been very fast and sometimes even with very fast steps. Good introduction to using the clone stamp tool to remove blemishes using it several curves adjustment layers to remove blemishes (no more than a half hour or so). Some of d & b with shades of color to match skin spots ("10 minutes? could be). And suddenly, there is the famous layer 7: smart object and Power Stroke Viveza filter. The picture changes radically, Chris makes not the slightest intention of showing the actual adjustment made to these filters (despite the insistence of Doug in the final that the show).
The remaining time we spent doing eyelashes and eyebrows (really a very interesting.)
In short, I expected more from Chris. Especially when you see the famous layer 7 with the filters I discussed earlier and the picture changes dramatically in color, appearance and intensity, is another completely different image.
I think if we look to Webinars with Chris Tarantino and your workflow he uses filters (such as Power Stroke or Viveza), he should explain his work with them to fully understand, or maybe that is his big secret he he keeps .... could be.

Last edited by superfrasky; 03-02-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link is now closed.
This show is now available for rental.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 04-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM

This was my first RetouchPRO LIVE experience and I was really impressed - a magic 2 hours and I thought Doug did a great job of drawing out further explanations/clarifications at just the right places. Although I would love to be able to buy a DVD of selected shows and am keen for access to the YouTube archive to become available in NZ, I think the rebroadcast show forced me to actually sit and pay attention for that 2 hour period whereas a DVD would probably be like some of the Photoshop books on my shelf, unread with good intentions. I'll definitely be trying to catch more of these shows. [Superfrasky, to be fair, at Doug's prompting, Chris did briefly cover what he would have done in Photoshop to achieve the effects he got from those filters.]
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 AM

Re: Retouch Pro LIVE "Impish" w/Chris Tarantino

I'm sorry that the famous(really?) layer 7 has left you feeling cheated.
As I explained in the webinar the plug-ins were not loaded at the
time and PS was showing a "composite" of what the plug-ins had done.
They are not something that I use on a regular basis. In fact I had used them
on that image to test them out and do an article on their merits. I'd be happy
to do a show about those plug-ins or any others that are worthwhile to use
for the work I do.

But no.....I really wasn't keeping a secret from anyone. If I was
I wouldn't have used that image for the webinar.

Regards
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrasky View Post
Hi all
I have attended this seminar with much hope I learn a lot from Chris Tarantino. After attending this seminar, the truth is that I feel cheated, and not because I question the level of Chris who is a great retoucher and inspiration for all of us involved in this.
First, the editing process was an image with long time work for which the sum of two hours has been very fast and sometimes even with very fast steps. Good introduction to using the clone stamp tool to remove blemishes using it several curves adjustment layers to remove blemishes (no more than a half hour or so). Some of d & b with shades of color to match skin spots ("10 minutes? could be). And suddenly, there is the famous layer 7: smart object and Power Stroke Viveza filter. The picture changes radically, Chris makes not the slightest intention of showing the actual adjustment made to these filters (despite the insistence of Doug in the final that the show).
The remaining time we spent doing eyelashes and eyebrows (really a very interesting.)
In short, I expected more from Chris. Especially when you see the famous layer 7 with the filters I discussed earlier and the picture changes dramatically in color, appearance and intensity, is another completely different image.
I think if we look to Webinars with Chris Tarantino and your workflow he uses filters (such as Power Stroke or Viveza), he should explain his work with them to fully understand, or maybe that is his big secret he he keeps .... could be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Hello Chris,

I would also like to see in-between steps before magic layer 7. I am a fairly beginner and some obvious to me can be very mysterious at sometimes. Nevertheless thank you.

Today I was experimenting with soft layer( clean up layer/ 50%grey soft light). Sampled light part of the face skin and the dark just same as you Chris did on the show. A bit of desaturation, added bit of brightness. opacity around 15% flow around 75%. I look for darker tones i start to brush it on <clean up layer> and what i get sometimes is that reddish kind of blemish. I am sure here i do something wrong . I have tried different saturation and brightness levels but that redishness follows me most of the time. Would think of any mistakes I do here?
The other thing I would like to ask you is how to do D&B in large scale when image cleaned up, retouched and you one to get shadows on face and highlights to give it more dramatic look?
Thank you. Tomachas.

I also attaching part of the image where i come across with that problem mentioned early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch3.jpg (80.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Are you Chris reading this thread at all?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Hi Nebulaoperator
Without seeing your layers its hard for me to pinpoint what might be possibly happening. If you can email me the file or send me a link and I'll take a look at it for you.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE