RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Restoration" with Ctein

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Restoration" with Ctein

I'm pleased to welcome our newest guest artist to RetouchPRO LIVE, Ctein.

Anyone who's read more than one photo magazine in the last 30 years is undoubtedly familiar with Ctein, especially if you're like me and hunt for the more technical articles. And I'm sure many of you already have his photo restoration book. Some of you might even know him as one of the last few dye transfer printers still at work.

But on our next all-new live show, Ctein will be showing us how to restore color photographs that have faded over time. Take a look at the before/after examples at the link below and your jaw will drop.

Watch Ctein's full-sized desktop live via your web browser as he restores the color to these images from start-to-finish. He'll answer your questions about his technique as he works, and more general questions at the end (if there's time).

Saturday, May 21, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=ctein
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Color Restoration" with Ctein

Hello Doug,

I'm a new member, and have joined actually because of the information about Ctein's live webinar. My question is: i'm happy to pay for it, but can I watch it later? I have a young family and 5pm on a saturday - well i'll likely be busy with my kids. Is there an option to pay but watch later?

glenn
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Janitor

If you're in the US, you might want to skip the live show and rent it on Monday or Tuesday. Then you can rewatch multiple times over the 3-day rental period. It's a tradeoff against being able to ask questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close a few minutes.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If it's not there, check the inbox for the email account you use for PayPal.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active. You should also try another browser.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link is now closed.
Watch the email list for news of the rebroadcast.
If you're in the US, you can rent this show right now.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 05-23-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Patron

Hi
Thank you Doug and Ctein for a really interesting and information packed semainar. I definitely want to retry scanning some of my slides and trying out the techniques you mentioned.
Two questions.
1. You mentioned about how you choose a good resolution for scanning photos - what do you do about slides? The reason I ask is that slide scanners scan at very high resolutions and TIFF files can get quite large (my second hand Minolta Dimage Elite Pro does 900 to 5400dpi)
2. I have scanned in TIFF and jpeg and on different scanners and noticed different results (I have a Microtek flatbed that does negatives). I am interested to know whether you have noticed whether the type of slide being scanned makes a difference or whether the type of scanner?

Last edited by JoReam; 05-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Patron

Even though the webinar was geared for scanned images, almost everything Ctein showed us is relevant for a digital camera capture if you have the same problems with the capture. I really had no idea how to use RGB curves to work, in effect, in CMYK and Lab without going to those color spaces, I usually work natively in those color spaces. What he did in this specific episode was to use basic tools in clever ways. That's the essence of genius, to me at least. And I'm sure he has lots of advanced tricks up his sleeve as well when he needs them.

Also, his generous usage of a wide range of plug-ins is encouraging, as it reinforces my opinion that Photoshop has a fantastic infrastructure and a good number of fantastic tools, but there are still lots of gaps. That's what makes 3rd party markets so valuable and it's so good that Photoshop is open enough to be a very popular plug-in platform.

I downloaded the Digital ROC plug-in he used on the family photo, looking forward to trying it out
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Janitor

If you're in the US, this show is available for rental right now. Rentals allow for pausing, rewinding, and rewatching as many times as you like over the 3-day rental period.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks to Doug and Ctein for a fascinating webinar. I have Ctein's book (2nd edition) and highly recommend it to anyone doing restoration work. The webinar added to what's in the book and reinforced it for me. I'm new here and found ReTouchPro because of this seminar. I look forward to "attending" more in the future. There's a lot of information for just $10 - you can't beat it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Dear Jo,

1) Well, your scanner may not be able to deliver a real 5400 PPI worth of resolution, even though that is the scan pitch. It's real output resolution may be closer to 4000 PPI in which case, you can cut your file size some by just scanning at that resolution. Obviously, you'll want to run a couple of comparison test scans at different resolutions to find out at what point you're adding more pixels but not adding any more detail.

Personally, I'm a strong believer in scanning 35mm film at the maximum useful resolution you can. Unless you have already maxed out your computer on RAM, go buy a couple of more gigabytes of RAM. It's really cheap these days.

2) I'm probably missing something, but I cannot see any reason why, for restoration or retouching purposes, one would ever scan into JPEG format. All you are doing is risking losing information or creating artifacts due to lossy compression, and as soon as you open up the file in your image processing program it balloons up to the same size it would be if you'd scanned as TIFF in the first place.

That said, there's no rhyme nor reason between the ways different scanners and scanner software packages produce different results. As I mentioned in the seminar, some scanners will get you a maximum tonal range from your film by scanning it as a slide, some as a negative, some in 16-bit mode, some in 16-bit linear mode, and all you can do is try the different settings out and find out which one works best. Fortunately you only have to do that once.

But in this case, I wouldn't even be worried about making the comparison. Just don't use JPEG. If you need JPEG's for clients for some reason, do a “save as” in your image processing program and produce them there.

pax \ Ctein
[ Please excuse any word-salad. MacSpeech in training! ]
======================================
-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://ctein.com*
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com*
======================================
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE