RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "$10 Ring" with Steve Koshlap

Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "$10 Ring" with Steve Koshlap

Since Steve Koshlap is a pro retoucher specializing in luxury goods, I expect each show to feature jewelry more exquisite and expensive than the last. But Steve surprised me this time with an inspired idea.

On our next all-new RetouchPRO LIVE, Steve will be retouching a $10 ring. Fake diamond, fake gold, facets that are molded instead of polished. But look at that "after" image! This is a lot closer to the jobs most of us could ever hope to get, and should really highlight his retouching techniques.

In addition, he'll be showing us his photo setup for shooting jewelry. And as a bonus, Steve uses Apple Aperture for photo management and raw processing, so he'll be able to answer questions about that (perhaps some of you Lightroom users have been curious).

From Steve:
"I will have a discussion of:
  • The setup and equipment in my studio that I use to photograph jewelry, including location equipment.
  • Cameras, specialty lenses, shooting accessories, light modifiers and reflectors.
  • Captures of how I set up a shot, and the corresponding high res images, as I modify the lighting.
  • Apple Aperture RAW processing for the images.
I will then take two of the shots of the ring, combine them in Photoshop for the desired effect, then go through the entire post production retouching process step by step.

The ring I am shooting is literally a $10 fake diamond ring. When we're done, it should (hopefully) look like it's worth a bit more!"

Saturday, August 13, 4pm CDT (click link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=koshlap

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 08-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "$10 Ring" with Steve Koshlap

I like these live shows, but this one looks seriously bad from the example photos. Yes, darkening the image brought out the highlights in the main diamond but it also brought out the glue dot holding up the ring and created a yellow cast in the centre opening. While I'm certainly not a pro, cloning out the glue dot would have been one of the first things I would have done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Janitor

Are you certain you're not confusing the before for the after?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Duh!!! Of course I am. How stupid. I'll blame it on being woken up by my dogs who then proceeded to fight and continue on in their kennels ;o)
Thanks for correcting me.

I have not gotten to see too many of the shows and only one that I saw disappointed me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Janitor

The ticket sales link will close in a few minutes.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If it's not there, check the inbox for the email account you use for PayPal.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active. You should also try another browser.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 AM

Hi everyone. Like the Live shows more than recordings. Would be great to make these shows more dynamic and interactive. I've seen couple of shows with Steve including today's - always good useful content. I have a suggestion for the upcoming shows. How about showing the retouching processes from a pain solving perspective. Here's what I mean. Take 3-5 rings in one show and demonstrate how to retouch gold, silver, titanium only. No diamonds, no shadows for that one show. Just a few cases of metal retouching, maybe even starting with some Not so perfect photography. How to remove unwanted reflections, how to clean dust and save the metal texture, how to recreate some parts where it's impossible to pull out from a photo. That would be Super valuable. It's always great to learn a few new tricks from such respected Pros like Steve. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 AM

Thumbs down Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "$10 Ring" with Steve Koshlap

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to say that I adore Steve Koshlap's retouching work, and that's why this is not the first time I attend one of his shows. This being said, I apologize for being toxic and providing (hopefully) constructive criticism.

I watched the yesterday's show and I am slightly disappointed, not so much in the show itself, but in its description on this page that's quite misleading. It's about the preview before/after pictures posted on this page that had me fooled in expecting something totally different and challenging in terms of retouching. The "before" image posted was not the main image used, but merely the highlights put simply in "Light Mode", that in this case were just a few white dots barely noticeable in the side ornaments of the ring.

As posted this way I expected the retoucher to handle the underexposed areas in this image, restore and polish the details, showed in the "after" image. But in the actual show he used another, much better photo to start with, shot in a white tent, that was well lit and did not have any of the problems the posted preview had. There were not any hard/creative decisions made, just over-sharpening and and selective desaturation of the near perfect start image.

This live show looked more like "Shooting small objects with redundantly expensive equipment for Dummies", and I have no problem with that, you just have to present it as such. In reality it provided little to none actual pro-information on the subject that can be easily found on ANY photographic forum or in YouTube, and all we got was "buy really cheap wax, tent for 100$ and 1300$ lens for the 2000$ camera body" and you can start "experimenting" in shooting jewelry on a white background.

I am a big fan of the RetouchPro Live, don't let me question every interesting upcoming show whether or not it will be as presented in the description.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks for everyone. As live show purchaser do we have the right to have the recording video of the show, even though with extra money but less than rental cost (as package).
We need to get the maximam benefit of our Gurus in this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Janitor

I'll take the hit for the before/after photo choice. Steve provided me with all 3 images, and I chose the one I did as it presented the most accurate view of what the $10 ring actually looked like. And, since the show was just as much about photographing said ring as retouching it, I still think the version I went with is the more accurate "before" (we didn't get to the 2nd version until almost an hour into the show. It was basically another "after", just not after retouching).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE