RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "ETTR, HDR and Exposure Blending"

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "ETTR, HDR and Exposure Blending"

On our next all-new RetouchPRO LIVE, color guru Andrew Rodney provides another opportunity to stretch our digital brains. There will be downloadable notes.

From Andrew:
"In this Webinar, we'll first look at capturing images for the best possible quality and low noise by examining Expose to the Right. From there we'll dive into extending dynamic range of captures using both true HDR and exposure blending in products like Photoshop and Lightroom using a number of 3rd party solutions. The goal is to produce extended dynamic range without creating an image that looks like the color vision of dogs or donkeys (meaning a normal, appealing image that just happens to have an extended tone range). This will not be easy or quick as you'll see a number of 3rd party products demonstrated in real time, all that claim they can produce attractive extended tonal mapping. In this webinar, we'll concentrate on bracketing techniques, exposure and image processing, so get your Ansel Adams attitude on."

I expect we'll have more audience questions than usual during this particular show (Andrew's shows always generate a lot of good questions, and this one is even more thinky than usual).

Saturday, September 10, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rodney

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 09-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "ETTR, HDR and Exposure Blendi

The ticket sales link will close in a few minutes.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If it's not there, check the inbox for the email account you use for PayPal.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active. You should also try another browser.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Janitor

Here is the link for Andrew's notes for this show.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the informative webinar Andrew.
I asked about testing for DSLR native ISO and didn't see anything in the notes or on your site. Did you have a resource for that testing process?
Thanks,
Ryan in Vegas
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...g-for-raw.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM

I had to deactivate UAC "User Account Control" on my Vista PC to get the GoToWebinar SW installed.

Greetings, khsdt
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 PM

I use Bibble 5 for RAW processing. It allows me to make several layers that are area specific. These are either drawn or a brush is used to select areas of interest. I can then apply most of the settings (Exposure, Highlight recovery, color, etc) to the selected area. I believe this accomplishes the same thing (only with more control) that blending two exposure settings from one RAW original in a HDR program. I don't know if Lightroom allows the same thing but it is very useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM

I have a question for Andrew about the presentation. Are you advocating using a high ISO (800) and ETTR (under the acceptable circumstances) to achieve the best quality image? Also, I read your article about figuring out your cameras native ETTR ISO and can't say that I'm real clear on how to figure that out. Could you also explain this "For high-ISO shooting, it's clear from the test examples that noise is greatly reduced; however, shooting in this mode effectively provides a much lower initial ISO setting, so this technique might not be that useful." Why does it provide a much lower initial ISO setting? Thanks. - Lane
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Are you advocating using a high ISO (800) and ETTR (under the acceptable circumstances) to achieve the best quality image?
I’m pointing out that with some camera systems (in this case a Canon), a lower non ETTR ISO capture can produce more noise than a higher ISO with ETTR capture. The ISO in this case by itself does not produce more noise (the conventional wisdom).

IF you need high ISO and can’t implement ETTR (which would be like using a lower ISO) you’ll get noise but you probably need the higher shutter or don’t have enough light for a capture. IOW, high(er) ISO without ETTR equals more noise. Say you are shooting with a 35mm 1.4 in a dim restaurant. You are wide open but at a 1/5th of a second and everyone at the table is blurring. You need to raise the ISO (to a point), you’ll get a noisy image but you’ll get a sharp image which is the lesser of two evils.

So you still need to think like a photographer in terms of what your meter is telling you, how to set the ISO in terms of controlling aperture and shutter. If you have lots of light, ETTR is a slam dunk.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE