RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Jewelry Lighting" with Jim Lawson

Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE "Jewelry Lighting" with Jim Lawson

Jim Lawson considers himself more a jewelry photographer than a retoucher, but Photoshop's masking and layers are an essential part of creating his striking cover photos. Jim photographs jewelry with several different lightings, then combines the best of each to highlight the unique beauty of the handcrafted pieces he's made his specialty.

Watch live via your browser as Jim shows you how he lit and photographed these beautiful mokume rings. Then he'll move to Photoshop and combine the best of each exposure and complete the retouching for this magazine cover.

As is always the case with RetouchPRO LIVE shows, Jim will answer audience questions as he works.

Saturday, October 8, 4pm CDT (see link below for other time zones)

Click the following link for details and ticket sales:
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=lawson
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Jewelry Lighting" with Jim La

The ticket sales link will close in a few minutes.

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder. You'll want to make sure both retouchpro.com and citrixonline.com are whitelisted (listed as "trusted" or "friendly" or "always allowed") in your spam filter.

If it's not there, check the inbox for the email account you use for PayPal.

If you can't connect, verify you have Java installed and active. You should also try another browser.

Tollfree 24/7 tech support phone numbers can be found here (make sure you specify gotowebinar in the dropdown options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM

That was a great show! But Lawson was right, there just wasn't enough time to cover everything! It could've been broken out into 3 shows: shooting jewelry, retouching jewelry, and retouching for print!

Thanks again for another great show Doug.

Steven
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Early in his presentation, did Jim say that he doesn't use white as a background color in general, or that he doesn't use white for reflective material for metals? This came up about the same time that he was discussing using non-glare glass atop the black Plexi.

Anything anyone can remember on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM

He said in general he did not use white reflectors as it kills the metallic look of the jewelry. Silver reflectors do a better job of maintaining the metallic look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM

He used silver-faced Crescent boards for reflectors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 PM

John,

I think there is a bit of confusion here which I will do my best to clear up. I never actually talked about using white as a background. If remember correctly what I was talking about was using the silver cards as opposed to white to fill in shadow areas and to add highlights to metallic surfaces on the rings. If you remember, unfortunately I had to go a little quicker than I anticipated, in the sequence of photos were I showed how I was adding highlights into the rings I was reflecting silver, from the card, into various areas on the rings. The silver card is almost like a mirror and it sees the light source, and in effect becomes small mini portion of the light source. If I were to use a white reflector surface it would not act the same as the silver.

As far as the background itself is concerned, it turned out being more like a middle gray, but once I had created the selection for the rings, then I could add depth and dimension to the background, which I did by adding a layer of 50% gray in the soft light mode and then using the gradient tool, if you remember. I know I was throwing a lot of information at you, and it may seem frustrating but I think if you try doing this yourself, and dealing with the problems that you encounter, some of the things I have said will make more sense to you. If this explanation is insufficient please let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Thanks, everyone. Clear as a bell, now. Good webinar, Jim, even considering the time constraints. I took a lot away from what you taught us. Best wishes to all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Great tip on using the pano composite feature to load all the shots into a layer stack in Photoshop! I'll be using that one!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE