RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Warping" with Steve Caplin

Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Janitor

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Warping" with Steve Caplin

I registered you again using the email address you paid with. Check that inbox.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM

I paid and registered but have not received an email to watch the class.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Got it, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Patron

Hello Steve and Doug,
As promised attached are some samples of what I use in my images. As you can see these are not traditional tubes and so there are times that I have to use a completely straight tube as it is in the image I was sent and curve it, as for that particular event it will have that manipulation done to it and it will be wired to a truss. Or the other way around. They might send me an image of an event with curved tubes and I have to extract it and straighten it to place into another "sketch." The tubes might have different tops which have to be added and also match the base tube. This is why Steve's shows are so important and exciting for me as while I get it in the end on my own, speed is often lacking and I get paid by the job not the hour. I often sit here feeling my heart rate speed up trying to figure something out and think - relax...what would Steve Caplin do? I have also included an event that I had to do recently and showing the real picture that they sent to me to work from and what I had to get done as a visual for the client to give you an idea of what is expected of me and it is really all right up Steve's alley. Lots of montaging and lots of drawing. 3D also important and I am working hard on those skills which are sadly lacking.
Thank you and you cannot begin to know how much I love the Steve Caplin webinars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lit-tubes.jpg (56.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Miami-Truss.jpg (75.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Puppets.jpg (97.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Tube-top.jpg (24.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Tubes-&-Chiavari.jpg (75.1 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Patron

Could not fit the room sketch pics so here they are from the original picture sent to me, to having to make something out of it that I could use for my montaging and drawing and the final (or at least a portion of) the final image. It was a luncheon event hence no event lighting used.

If only I were in the UK I would absolutely crawl through the streets of London if needs be to get to some of Steve's classes and training. However...thank you Doug for these opportunities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moore-Bldg.jpg (69.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Moore-Bldg-Base-Sketch.jpg (32.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Room-view-A-Moore-Bldg.jpg (42.9 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the very generous comments! I'm glad you find the shows so useful. They're certainly a lot of fun to do, and statements such as yours make them very much more worthwhile.

Fascinating to see the source material you have to work with for your montages. What an interesting job! The tubes, however, can be treated just like the tubes I was working with in the webinar yesterday. Here, I've taken your "lit tubes" image and distorted just the tube on the far right, using Image Warp within Free Transform.

The distortions I used are, from left to right: Arc; Flag; Rise, followed by a little Custom distortion to sort out the ends; and Arc again for the basic shape, followed by Custom to twist the tube into a different shape entirely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lit-tubes-sc.jpg (31.7 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Patron

Thank you Steve,

I shall keep on exploring and hopefully growing as a Photoshop artist. Your shows are absolutely beyond helpful and give me ideas and options that I had not considered before, not to mention lots of new techniques to try and many "ah ha" moments. Look away Doug, but other than the retouching I have to do to make a "real" image look like an artist's render and which is technically absolutely retouching, I don't do the faces and beauty touch-ups other than for fun, so when I see a notice of a Steve Caplin webinar I become immensely excited and the countdown to the show begins!

Looking forward to tons more of these shows and I recently signed up as a volunteer for the British Consul here in Miami, so if you are ever in our neck of the woods... )
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Patron

PS - The base of the tubes are fixed to the ground and thus not curved which I why I had tried my twisting and turning using puppet warp, but I am sure there is a way around that and it will be a good lesson for me to work with - Image warp within free transform... just like me to always try to overcomplicate things - sigh.
TTFN and thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 AM

Ah... I hadn't realised the bases were fixed, but of course now you mention it it seems obvious. You may well find Puppet Warp gives you better results, in these cases, since what you actually want is organic rather than geometric distortion.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE