RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

Can we see a Pro Live video on Color Grading?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Can we see a Pro Live video on Color Grading?

How do the fashion magazines get those beautiful color tones to the top notch ads like GUESS, VERSACE, PRADA, and so on. I think this is one of the most guarded secrets in the retouching world and I think it's time someone does a show on it. Whoever the presenter, they should have a background in working with these magazines and advertisers. I think we have enough beauty retouching videos don't you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Janitor

Re: Can we see a Pro Live video on Color Grading?

Can you give me some names to investigate and possibly invite?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM

Doug,

I wish I knew. I would think that some more experienced retouchers in the community can come up with some names. My guess is that Box Studios in NY handles most of the major accounts for these big BRANDS, these are the big spenders so I'm sure they go to the best color graders out there. For example, we know that Steven Meisel goes straight to Pascal Dangin for his retouching and also Patrick Demarchelier. I'd probably see pigs fly before Pascal showed up as a presenter since he's so secretive. In my honest opinion I think the most safe guarded secrets are the overall colors of a retouch. Personally, iv'e reached the point that I don't need to see another Dodge and Burn or fixing blemishes video. There are so many out there! Lets focus on the next step in how to get that FASHION MAGAZINE look! Elle, Vogue, Haarpers Bazaar! They all have that "look" to their images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Janitor

Perhaps post some URLs illustrating the look you're seeking. Most of our retouching presenters have done work for those magazines, so it's obviously something beyond just the artist or technique you're looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Personally, I would love to see a show with Jaime Ibarra. His color grading and use of saturation are both very impressive to me. Here's his website:

http://www.ibarraphoto.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 AM

agree with Mike, awesome use of grading.
Also some work of Alexander Neumann or Andrew Yee or maybe even Steven Meisel in the januari 2012 issue of Vogue
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesavi View Post
Personally, I would love to see a show with Jaime Ibarra. His color grading and use of saturation are both very impressive to me. Here's his website:

http://www.ibarraphoto.com/
Jaime does do one on one - http://www.ibarraphoto.com/Pages/Tut...0957190_QhQjq8

$300 for two-hours one on one really isn't a bad price if you really want to get in his head.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

I agree, although Jamie Ibarra's work is a bit more in the artistic direction than what you see in fashion magazine ads, I would really like to see the process in getting these types of COLORS. I'm glad we are all on the same page and understand that there is a whole other dimension in retouching here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Doug,

Here are a few of examples from major campaigns and notice how they are all color graded. I believe this phase happens after the retouching has been done. Maybe it's the final stage of the process. Maybe it's handed over to another retoucher who just specializes in color grading, who knows. But if you look closely at all these shots, they all have a certain magazine quality appeal to them that you don't see anywhere but in magazines. I was hoping that Chris Tarantino would have some insight in this since it seems he knows alot about coloring but I have yet to see a tutorial where he goes into color grading. I've thumbed my way through all the tutorials and i don't see anyone covering this. Why is this? Is this the key component to retouching that will take us to another level? Is this why this key component of retouching is not talked about?

Let's not continue to produce the high end beauty retouching videos, there are plenty of them here already and I think most of us know how to D&B and use the clone stamp and healing brush, it's just takes practice. Let's learn something fresh that has not been taught yet!

Thanks for hearing me out Doug. And Chris Tarantino, if you are listening, can you give your two cents about this topic and why so secretive?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 AM

Good point Paul, 100% agree for this quest.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE