Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE "Advanced Wacom" w/ Weston Maggio

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Advanced Wacom" w/ Weston Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossmisconduct View Post
Hi! If I understood you guys right it should be possible to assign a series of keystrokes to the radial menu (for example the claw followed by alt and . as Doug wanted). Is there some kind of divider that youd have to fill into the field, for the wacom not to mix up the different keystrokes for a possible different shortcut
There is no way to "pause" or stop one function, and then move on to another. The series of keys, however many there may be in a given function, must be valid. By that I mean, not a multi-step process. For example, in the context of what we covered in the webinar, Doug had suggested the ability to "fade" an effect with the Touch Ring. That is done through one series of keys, plus a second function. I attempted the function and found that it is somewhat possible...

To fade an effect, or the last step performed in Photoshop, you hit, Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + F. This brings up a dialog box that presents you with a slider which you can use to fade the effect on a scale from 100% - 0%. That is step 1. In step 2, you click and drag the slider, or use the Up and Down arrows to fade the effect. In the keystroke method, adding the Shift key + Up or Down arrows enables you to fade the effect in 10% increments.

So, here is what I did: In the Touch Ring area of the Wacom Tablet Properties, I entered Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + F + Shift + Up Arrow. Additionally, Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + F + Shift + Down Arrow. This yielded passable, but not ideal results. A swipe of the Touch Ring brought up the Fade dialog box, and it did in fact fade the effect +/- 10% increments. But, with each increment the computer "dinged" because in the fade process, the Touch Ring repeatedly hit ALL of the keys assigned--not just Shift + Up/Down. Technically, it worked but as I previously mentioned, the keystrokes assigned must be part of a single process.

Excellent idea though Doug!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Janitor

This show is now available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 AM

Thank you for the show. A great starter as I've just invested in the Intuos 4.

In the show you demonstrated toggling the "adjust opacity with pen pressure" via the icon in CS5 and the same for adjusting brush size. There could well be some newbie element I'm missing here but when I toggle these icons it seems to make no difference. The line gets denser and wider the more I press the pen irrespective of which way these icons are toggled. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Unhappy Re: RetouchPRO LIVE "Advanced Wacom" w/ Weston Mag

I never received my link to the webinar. I meant to let you know and time got away from me. I did fill out the information on the RTP site after paying with PayPal and it's never failed before...oh well. Guess I'll have to watch the online version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Janitor

Sorry you missed the live show, you ask good questions. I issued you a refund you can put towards the rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM

"pen icons in the options bar not working"

OK - I've answered my own question. Just in case this was a burning issue for anyone else:

If you have pen pressure selected in the brushes panel then the icons in the options bar are redundant - pen pressure for opacity and size remains on whichever way you toggle the icons. If you have pen pressure "off" in the brushes panel then you can toggle pen pressure control on and off via the icon in the options bar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 AM

A word on the Tablet Control Buttons. These buttons (located in the options bar when you have a brush selected) add or "over ride" size or opacity respectively to the brush preset that you have selected in the brush preset panel.

Last edited by wmaggio; 05-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Wood View Post
"pen icons in the options bar not working"

OK - I've answered my own question. Just in case this was a burning issue for anyone else:

If you have pen pressure selected in the brushes panel then the icons in the options bar are redundant - pen pressure for opacity and size remains on whichever way you toggle the icons. If you have pen pressure "off" in the brushes panel then you can toggle pen pressure control on and off via the icon in the options bar.
That is correct Anthony. The Tablet Control Buttons add or "over ride" size or opacity respectively to the brush preset that you have selected in the brush preset panel.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE