RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

Photoshop questions for Steve Koshlap ring show

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Photoshop questions for Steve Koshlap ring show

Hi there,

Not sure where I should put this post, so thought I'd put it here as someone may know how to work with PS5. I have a good basic working knowledge of PS5 - but not yet fully up to speed with the keyboard commands - something I'm still learning.

Basically, I watched the Steve Koshlap video tutorial - the ring one - and towards the very end he works with a diamond tiara and bracelet. I've been trying to replicate some of his 'moves' but because he didn't fully explain the keyboard commands he is using as he went along. So, I'm having a hard time being able to apply his methods to some of my own photos.

I prefer his method to the one I've been using to get a white background and work with the shadows that are already there.

So, if anyone has watched it, maybe you can help fill me in on the details?

Ok, so where I'm stuck is (I'll upload a screenshot as it may also be easier to explain that way):

1/ I've done created many different paths of a piece but for some reason, everytime I select the 'overall path', and work with it on a layer, all the surrounding area can only be worked on and not the item iself. When I save a path, do I have to invert before saving? Shouldn't it save the enclosed path automatically?

2/ How do I select one path while leaving out a portion of it? In this video, Steve toggles back and forth between the paths/channels and then chooses the hue/saturation mask selection. What is he pressing as he is selecting each path in order to subtract, say, the diamonds portion from the entire selection? And, why is there a blackened mask? (see attachment 'blackenedoutlayermask.jpg)

I have tried to do this one one of my own photos and I don't even get a mask icon next to my mask selection.

3/ In the same 'blackenedoutlayermask.jpg attachment, he also has a totally white layer - his 'layer1'. How did he do this?

Thanks for your help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackenedoutlayermask.jpg (93.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by evian; 09-01-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: question numbers out of order
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM

Re: PS questions on the Steve Koshlap ring tutoria

Evian-
I'll try to answer your questions.
1)- it sounds as though you just need to invert the selection, but I have a feeling that you may be making a "shape" path, instead of a regular path. Make sure you are in the Path dialog floating window, hit the drop down menu, then select New Path. Paths made this way should turn into object selections.
2) Make a selection from a path. Select another path, then choose "Make selection", then,"subtract from selection". To subtract one mask from another, hold down the option key when enabling it. (Shift key will add to a selection).
The mask should appear black with the portion to be selected as white. Think of it as a negative- white is active, black is held back.
3)To make a white layer, in the layers floating window, or layer menu, choose New Layer. Make sure the foreground/background palette is the default black/white by hitting "D". Hit "X" to make it white/black. Keyboard in "option-delete" to fill with white.
Try now to make a layer mask for that layer: find the third from the left icon on the bottom of the layers floating window (hover over it to see that it is the mask icon). Click on it and you will have a white layer mask. Option/click on the icon and you will get a mask filled with black.

Practice, experiment, and find basic-through-advanced Photoshop tutorials. Use the application menus while you learn, then read and begin to use the keyboard shortcuts listed along side the menu items as you advance.

Hope this helps!
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks Steve!! I really appreciate that. I will give these a go tomorrow btw, it's getting a bit late here. I'll see how all that goes.

BTW, you hit the nail on the head, I have learned PS in a haphazard way, and these little details are ones that I didn't 'catch' along the way. So, again, thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

:0)

Last edited by evian; 09-02-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: save an extra post
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Hi Steve!

Just wanted to show you some samples I completed today using your method. I'm still getting used to it, but I soooo much prefer it to the one I was doing in order to keep the natural shadows. Although, all methods have their place

These two images are intended for a friend's personal inventory purposes which means that the original items needed to be as close to what they actually look like in reality. So, for me the white balance was the most important, yet, I did add a bit of extra umph into the coins - but not too much since they are a bit aged naturally.

Feel free to feedback. I photographed the images as that is my original profession anyway. So yeah, I find the photography more straightforward, and as a photographer - to actually do the touching up from time to time helps me photograph better.

Thanks again,
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studiosession7-020.jpg (54.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Studiosession7-013.jpg (51.1 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Anne-
You are welcome! The shadows look great as they are, but there's something that you can try to really make them pop:
Make another new layer above your shadow layer and set it to multiply. Make a smaller, less hard brush and paint another small shadow over the existing one with a slightly darker black. This will make the object "ground" to the surface. This takes some patience, but really makes a big difference. I will at times make a three level shadow, but always two.
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks for that. I will give that a go and post it tonight or tomorrow, latest.

Thanks for that tip
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Red face Re: Photoshop questions for Steve Koshlap ring sho

Thanks for the feedback again Steve.

OK, I decided to do it tonight (it would have haunted me in my dreams otherwise).

So, having done it, I see what you are saying. It does ground it. I will play more with it tomorrow.

I'll post additional images tomorrow with a more refined shadow and a lot more practice under my belt.

Thanks again!
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studiosession7-013.jpg (50.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Studiosession7-020.jpg (54.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Re: Photoshop questions for Steve Koshlap ring sho

When you play with grounding shadows, you will "know it when you got it". You have an advantage as a photographer. You can observe how shadows act when you light a scene, then all you have to do is figure out how to duplicate the effect in Photoshop!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE