RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

Idea for a new video

Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Idea for a new video

I think it would be really interesting to have a video from an 'old-school' retoucher, to show how it was done by airbrushing and other means in the days before photoshop. There must be some guys around who still have the skills and equipment to do this - the challenges they faced and the workarounds that they developed ought to be really interesting, when compared to modern retouching.

Obviously it would be hard to make it a live webinar, but maybe have a pro photoshop retoucher and a traditional airbrusher both working on the same image to see how they achieve their end results?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Re: Idea for a new video

Another idea - could we get an in-depth look at a complex hair-masking project? All the ones I've seen tend to have a 'relatively' easy challenge, and show one approach to achieving it.

It would be great to show a complex challenge and the multiple approaches which may be needed to achieve the best result - in my experience you often end up using several different methods to get the best final result.

Last edited by Jon10; 01-27-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 AM

i think this website is dead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendesign View Post
i think this website is dead.
Not sure what you mean?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon10 View Post
Not sure what you mean?!?!?!?
i mean there is no activity here anymore. the latest live video i think it was in 2012
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Janitor

The website is far from dead, but you're right about the latest live video date. It took me over a year to find a solution to rent the recordings, but once I did the live viewership dried up almost instantly.

But the videos were (and are) just a tiny fraction of this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 04:13 AM

Doug - is that an issue as far as the overall website viability is concerned? I would hope not, assuming that the rental from the videos is enough to sustain the site and potential future videos, but I have no idea how much it costs to develop new videos - what is the 'state of the RetouchPro nation'?

I think it's a great resource, but I have to admit that I haven't done much in the way of renting videos (never seem to have time) - have you considered other models for making the videos available? (full download/DVD)?

And how about my ideas above for potential new videos?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Janitor

Video rentals, ads, and Patron subscriptions more than pay for overhead, including my time. But the webinar software was very expensive, and presenters did not enjoy doing shows with only a couple of people in the live audience.

Visitation goes up and down. We're currently in an upswing, but it was down for several months. The videos and live shows had almost zero effect on the number of visitors (although the weekly emails about the shows did have a marked affect).

The vast, vast majority of people come for the forums, over 90%. A lot come for the Challenges, and some come for the tutorials (admittedly a weak area). I'd say videos and shows count for less than 1% of traffic.

But the site is in no danger of going anywhere. My major fear is of technological problems, since the servers are far and away my biggest expense and I've had to scrimp a bit there. But we had a total hard drive meltdown a couple of months ago and I didn't even notice until the next day when I was clearing the unread emails from my inbox and saw the repair notice from the server company.

The hair masking show was on my radar from before the first show, but several attempts fell though. I personally would enjoy an old-school airbrush show, but you're right about it not being possible via webinar (and frankly I suspect you and I are probably the only ones that would watch).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE