Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RetouchPRO LIVE Discussion and announcements for RetouchPRO LIVE events

RetouchPRO LIVE 3/7/15 - Audience Showcase #2

Old 03-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Janitor

RetouchPRO LIVE 3/7/15 - Audience Showcase #2

RetouchPRO LIVE
Audience Showcase #2

Our first Audience Showcase show was too lightly attended, but I got several comments that this was the single most valuable show (from any source) they had ever seen.

I can't ignore powerful feedback like that, so we'll give it another shot and see if we can't boost those attendance numbers. It's up to you if there's another showcase show. Attend if you can, and share the link if you can't.

Please attend even if you aren't planning to show. We need commenters. Plus you'll miss out on seeing some beautiful art if you don't.

Here's how it works:
  • Pick your one image that you want to show. Anything goes: retouching, compositing, photo restoration, photo art, straight photography, CGI, graphic design, or anything else. Just make sure it's your own work. WIP (work in progress) is fine, before/afters are optional but appreciated. You don't have to JPG your file, but you can if you like.
  • Rename your file to include your name. johnsmith.psd, jane_doe_WIP.jpg, etc.
  • Upload the file to http://www.retouchpro.com/upload (the access code is "showcase", no quotes). Don't wait until showtime to upload.
  • During the show we'll spend a few minutes looking at each image. I'll read out the relevant comments from the audience, then we'll move on to another. If we get too many images, preference will be given to those from live attendees.
  • After the show I'll delete all the files, none will be stored or shared. However the show will be recorded and uploaded to Youtube.

Remember, even if you choose not to upload you are still welcome to watch and comment. You're guaranteed to see things you have never seen before.

Saturday March 7, 2015 3pm Central US time
(there's a timezone converter on the registration page)
Click here for free registration
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Re: RetouchPRO LIVE 3/7/15 - Audience Showcase #2

my power went out so I couldn't attend! Is it up on youtube yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 PM

oh wait - it's tomorrow! yay! hopefully I shall have power! Silly me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM

just a thought, but may prevent future confusion. Adding the words "not your site handle" (or something equivalent) in the instructions on renaming images would make it really clear. Until registering, where it asks for first and last name, it was a little unclear for me..so I renamed it with my "handle" or site name, which i imagine made it a little confusing in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 PM

I was so looking forward to this webinar. Everyone looked like they had pictures and graphics that made for great critiques. Doug and the presenter went to a lot of trouble, for which I thank them. But I, unfortunately, I was unable to get sound. My speakers were working, nothing interfaced with Citrix. Bah humbug!

In any event, I thank those involved for their time and efforts. YouTube, here I come.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Janitor

This show is now up on Youtube
http://youtu.be/AEw-jj8Z18A
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanks for putting this up so fast. I enjoyed the comments and learned a lot.

To remark on my picture, which was near the end: No, it was not Silver Efex that created this picture. The picture is first corrected in PS, then it is over saturated. Then either channel mixer or the BW adjustment layer is used. The rest of the corrections after this are done with curves. Part of this technique is over sharpening. The reasons for this are for print. The over sharpening also makes the picture look more silver, especially around hair. Attached find a color version and the final BW version. Sorry, low res jpg alert.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPettycopyrighted.jpg (95.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Patron

Big thanks to Doug for this very informative Showcase!

Regarding my image, "The Warrior Queen", I know there were many questions about how it was done. I couldn't type fast enough to reply to all of the comments. Here's a brief description with attachments, below…..
This was done 4 years ago. I shot my daughter, with large false eyelashes, in my living room with just one strobe… very flat… no need for edge lights in this case (1st attachment). I then went over to my friend's house, who happens to be bald, and took a couple of head shots (2nd attachment). I combined the two heads, eliminated the eyebrows, and rotated both eyes so they were more level and esthetically pleasing (3rd attachment). To make the face symmetrical, I split it in half vertically, copied the right side and pasted it, then flipped it horizontally and moved it into place. I added some shading to the sides of the face for contour. Using a Curves Adjustment layer, I darkened the skin, but it still had some reddish, brownish hues. I desaturated the skin using another Hue/Sat Adjustment layer turning the skin to black, or very dark gray (4th attachment). Using the Pen Tool, I drew some shapes on the cheeks, turned them into selections, then used the Bevel and Emboss in the Layer Styles dialogue to accomplish the indentations (5th attachment). I continued this same method for the other indentations around the head. I bought a stock image of a cobra (6th attachment) off the internet (possibly iStock photo, but I really don't remember), sized it, moved it into place behind her head, and masked out what I didn't want. I then selected the cobra's head and skin scales (very time consuming) and changed them to gold. In between the scales, I turned to a deep blue. The neck ornament, I created in Photoshop Extended (7th attachment). By scaling and rotating, the same image was used for both the left and right sides of each "layer", all the way up her neck. The eyelid and lashes coloring, and the diamonds, jewels, and earrings were added last. I hope this satisfies anyone's curiosity. Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (108.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bald Head.jpg (152.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Composite of Heads.jpg (85.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Dark Skin.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg With Cheek Bevels.jpg (72.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra.jpg (94.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Neck Ornament.jpg (71.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbart View Post
Big thanks to Doug for this very informative Showcase!

I hope this satisfies anyone's curiosity. Greg
thanks for posting this. Really wonderful image!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Patron

gbart fantastic. Thanks for filling me on how you did that. I'm bald, I can put the eyelashes on my wife, but I am afraid the photo would end about there.

Thank you Doug for the session.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RetouchPRO LIVE