RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

Time-travel movies

Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 AM

the television series Stargate SG1 has dabbled a bit in time travel, though i couldnt tell you the exact episodes. and Stargate Atlantis has done one also. i believe that one was late last season.

and the british tv series Red Dwarf from a few years ago did a couple also. Red Dwarf was an interesting romp in space, comedy, which found its way into my video library.

havent seen any recent movies dealing with the subject, however. didnt Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy do a bit? that shld be out on dvd soon.

i used to read a lot of Robert Heinlein's stuff. in his later years he seemed obsessed with the subject. Asimov got into it also, though not as much.

there was also that tv series that starred scott baccula. that's still in syndication.

sorry, no real movies of late i can think of.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Don't forget TIMELINE, by Michael Criton.

A team of American archeologists working in France find a note from the middle ages written by their professor pleading for help. The team visits the corporation sponsoring them only to discover their professor is missing and was sent back to the middle ages. So, they all go back to rescue him.

The movie wasn't bad (could've been better). The book was probably one of the best time travel stories I've read. Just watch out for those transcription errors.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Time travel movies

Here are a few:

"For all time", 2000 TV movie starring Mark Harmon

"House in The Square"

"Frequency"

As for time travel reading, Anything by Jack Finney and Richard Matheson.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 PM

Somewhere in Time

I believe "Somewhere in Time" was based on Richard Matheson's "Bid Time Return." Was pretty faithful to the book.

You are certainly right about Finney's "Time & Again", it was great. He also wrote a sequel, "Time After Time."

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestos
Somewhere in Time (1980) with Christopher Reeve is a cute time travel movie. What I enjoyed more, though, is the book on which it's loosely based, Time and Again by Jack Finney. One of my favorite books. I doubt it's still in print but I bet it would turn up on Amazon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM

I really loved the original theatrical cut of Donnie Darko , but think he ruined parts of the film in the Directors Cut really. So if you have the chance, see the original cut! That is one great movie.

Another that came to mind is The Butterfly Effect . It's with Aston Kutcher, i know, but it's actually good anyway. Kutchers only good film in my opinion, I don't like the guy. But the story in this one is great, and deal with a differen type of timetravel. Reccomended.

As said earlier, 12 monkeys is another good one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Somewhere in Time was a great movie, and from my favorite time period. But it was based on the book by Richard Matheson who wrote many episodes for Twilight Zone. Finney, Matheson, and Ray Bradbury are probably my favorite authors of time travel stories.

Finney's book Time and Again is really a good one. And there was a sequel also.

Steve

Quote:
Somewhere in Time (1980) with Christopher Reeve is a cute time travel movie. What I enjoyed more, though, is the book on which it's loosely based, Time and Again by Jack Finney. One of my favorite books. I doubt it's still in print but I bet it would turn up on Amazon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Wow! Time travel. You just pushed one of my buttons to a favorite topic.

Here are some recommendations for movies: "For All Time" made for tv, not sure if it is out on DVD or not. Of course "Somewhere in Time." "Peggy Sue Got Married." I'll Never Forget You" with Tyrone Power. A remake of Berkeley Square" that starred Leslie Howard...(Ashley of "Gone With The Wind.) "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid. And "Timeline" from the book by Michael Crichton.

Some of the best stuff was on Twilight Zone...."A Stop At Willoughby"..."Walking Distance"..."Of Late I Think Of Cliffordville"..."No Time Like The Past"...A Hundred Yards Over The Rim"..."Once Upon A Time"...Static"...and "Back There." There are others in the series, but these are some I have watched over & over, especially "Willoughby" and "Walking Distance."

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Somewhere in Time (1980) with Christopher Reeve is a cute time travel movie. What I enjoyed more, though, is the book on which it's loosely based, Time and Again by Jack Finney...
You're absolutely spot on, Hephaestos, about "Time and Again." A great read - I've read it at least twice but sadly don't know what became of my copy and I fear you're right about it being out of print. For anybody who hasn't read it, if you can find a copy on eBay or wherever, buy it.

The movie, however, is another deal altogether. Having been to Mackinac Island several times, I had fun recognizing familiar places. Other than that, I found it loathesome in every respect. "Loosely based" is putting it mildly.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 PM

Don't forget the Terminator movies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 PM

You should check out La Jette. It's really quite beautiful and simple in it's story telling while being deep in content. 12 Monkeys is partially based on it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club