RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

Time-travel movies

Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM

You're confusing the book "Bid Time Return" with Finney's "Time & Again." I don't believe it was ever made into a movie. If it was I would sure like to know, as it is a fantastic book. It was available at Barnes & Noble not too long ago. Not sure about "Bid Time Return."

Matheson's book "Bid Time Return" was made into the movie "Somewhere In Time." Not the best time travel movie I have seen, but with the great scenery and music, it held it's own for me.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats
You're absolutely spot on, Hephaestos, about "Time and Again." A great read - I've read it at least twice but sadly don't know what became of my copy and I fear you're right about it being out of print. For anybody who hasn't read it, if you can find a copy on eBay or wherever, buy it.

The movie, however, is another deal altogether. Having been to Mackinac Island several times, I had fun recognizing familiar places. Other than that, I found it loathesome in every respect. "Loosely based" is putting it mildly.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 PM

I guess I was taking Hephaestos's word on the relationship between "Time and Again" and "Somewhere in Time." I've largely repressed my memories of the movie but I recall there were enough similarities at the conceptual level to make such a supposition at least somewhat reasonable.

I'd forgotten about the sequel to "Time and Again." I know I've read it but don't remember anything about it. Then again, I don't remember much about a lot of things these days.

I just Googled Finney and learned that he wrote other stories and novels that explored time-travel related themes. He also wrote the book on which "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was based, among other things.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM

"Time After Time" was the name of the sequel to "Time & Again." It was a continuation of the first one...going back in time to 1800's New York City to complete a government project he started in the first story. Actual vintage photos of the places in NY that he includes in his story are all throughout the books.

I have a book of his short stories which are mostly time related. Believe it's called "It's About Time."

Go here to locate his out-of-print stuff if you can't find it in a local book store.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...ry?errorcode=1

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats
I guess I was taking Hephaestos's word on the relationship between "Time and Again" and "Somewhere in Time." I've largely repressed my memories of the movie but I recall there were enough similarities at the conceptual level to make such a supposition at least somewhat reasonable.

I'd forgotten about the sequel to "Time and Again." I know I've read it but don't remember anything about it. Then again, I don't remember much about a lot of things these days.

I just Googled Finney and learned that he wrote other stories and novels that explored time-travel related themes. He also wrote the book on which "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was based, among other things.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Just double checked my books and altho I no longer have the it, I believe I remember the title as "From Time to Time" as the sequel. Finney did write "Time After Time" also.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:11 PM

ok, you guys are covering the bases quite nicely, so let's veer just a bit. is time travel possible and how would you deal with the various paradoxes?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Janitor

Yes, time travel is possible. It's paradoxes that are impossible. Therefore, while possible, no one will ever time travel
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM

hehe, doug. now you're sounding like my old sig: the only absolute is that there are no absolutes

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Janitor

I do dig recursive logic. My old sig was "moderation in all things, including moderation".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM

hehe, good one.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 PM

Einstein said it is. Never tried it myself.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ok, you guys are covering the bases quite nicely, so let's veer just a bit. is time travel possible and how would you deal with the various paradoxes?

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club