RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

Movies, movies, movies

Old 05-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Janitor

I was enjoying "Living with the Dead" until the commercial came on halfway through it "Hi, I'm the man that this movie is based on, and these experiences really happened to me". (for those who don't know, the movie is about a psychic who talks to dead people and uses this talent to catch a serial killer)

I mean no offense to any psychicly-inclined members we might have here, but that was just a little over-the-top for my taste. I would have liked the movie just fine if it had been presented as totally fictional.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 10:18 PM

Yeah, I saw that too. Reminded me of a Miss Cleo ad. But I just put that aside and enjoyed it as a fiction. By the time they get done beefing up a true story to appeal to audiences, it usually bears little resemblence to the original story it was supposedly based on anyway. Which is ok for me because when I want a real story I will watch a documentary or the news. Movies are for fun.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 10:25 PM

I knew Doug was going to say that....

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 10:56 PM
Janitor

I should have predicted someone would say that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 11:13 PM

I have a few favorites -

The Magnificent Seven
Sommersby
Of Mice and Men (with Gary Sinise & John Malkovich)

(If you've ever seen them, you could probably guess why).

And Rancho Deluxe (Jeff Bridges/Sam Waterston) for no other reason than it made me roll on the floor laffin'
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 11:32 PM

I like quite a variety of movies. some of my faves are;

Sci fi: things like Star Wars and Lord of the rings (can't wait for the sequels to both of those)

there's a lot of great old comedies like "Paint your wagon", the Pink Panther series (Peter Sellers was great), "I love lucy" shows, "the three stooges" etc. etc.

Other: Magnolia, Forrest Gump, there's lots more that I really really enjoyed but I can't remember the names right now.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2002, 01:48 AM

I have lots of movies that I've liked over the years, but one that I can watch over and over is "Three Seasons." It was filmed in Viet Nam and it is as close to "real life" as a film can get. When I need a "fix" of VN and can't travel, that movie is the next best thing. Everyone that I've told about the film has told me that they really enjoyed it, so I don't think it's just my connection the VN that makes is so special (though it certainly doesn't hurt! )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2002, 08:44 AM

Hi
Been away recently and had alot of catching up to do on this site. A heck of alot more interesting conversations going on here then some of the relatives I've been with lately.....relatives-we could start a new thread on that one alone sometime.

Relatives...what an unintentional? segueway to my question -was that "Living with the Dead" show based on that guy named ? Prague( or something like that who is on TV from time to time.Will have to catch it on the reruns.By the way is anyone watching " Alien"? That's become one of my favorite shows now although I will tape it next week so that I can watch the concluding episode of the X-Files.Maybe the happy reunited family will all go off somewhere on a UFO into another galaxy or something.

Saw in the paper that " SpiderMan" did a big boxoffice this weekend. Don't really remember what his speciality was and how he differed from Superman and Batman. I'd ask my husband but all he watches are old westerns. Will go to see Lord of the Rings now. Nice to hear that it's getting good reviews on this site.

By the way, we are really into our summer pattern early this year here in Florida.Ocean temperature was 78 the other day. In a way I don't mind it because it's a great excuse to stay in and work on my computer more.

Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 AM

Hi Paulette,
Nice to see you back. We've missed you. Know what you mean about relatives. I got the same ones I think.

Yes, living with the dead is based on that guy. Can't remember his name exactly either but that's the one.

Spiderman is a superhero with spider capabilities. He can spin and throw webs as a way of getting around town (similar to Tarzan and his vines) and he scales buildings. There use to be a cartoon about it on tv years ago based on the Marvel comics.

If you liked Lord of the Rings in book form then I think you will be impressed with how they did the movie. I loved it. So much of it was just like I envisioned it when I read the book.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 05:15 PM

I just know I'm forgetting some good ones but...

here we go - THE PRINCESS BRIDE:I must have see this show 50
Times or more. I never get tired of it.
- DUNE: A great epic movie. I know almost everyone will tell you that "the book is better". I respectfully disagree. ( I'm talking about the version with patrick stuart in it)
- HELL RAISER: My favorate scare flick by Clive Barker
- FIGHT CLUB & RESEVIOR DOGS: I put these movies togeather becouse they're equally as good as each other. If you havn't seen one of these...run, don't walk to the video store right now!!!
- And finally I'll say lord of the rings. It's as exciting and captivating as the books are. They did a bang-up job on this one!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club