RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

Movies, movies, movies

Old 05-16-2002, 12:40 PM

Sam,

My views on Braveheart are well known but when I first saw it I never realised it was Patrick McGoohan playing good king Edward ! It has some good scenes especially Edward disposing of his sons 'friend' via the window !
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:48 AM

well I thought Star Wars episode II started today here (Saturday) but I was wrong (it actually started thursday night at 12am) so I got to see it the first day it was out on friday evening. (so I didn't even have to "call in sick" on saturday ) the theater was packed but I managed to get in just before it started. I really liked it, even more then Episode I. has anybody else seen it yet? if so what did you think of it?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris h
The Shawshank Redemption is always a pleasure to watch, strong storyline, excellent cast and revenge (always a good theme)followed by a happy ending. And in a similar vein the Green Mile. I hought Lord of the Rings was quite good, a vast improvement over the Harry Potter tripe.
I can't approve of the Scottish propaganda in the form of Rob Roy and Braveheart, amusing tales but biased against the benevolent rule of England !!

Almost forgot the 'Seven Samurai' by Kurosawa its a stand alone masterpiece.
Are you aware that 2 of those you mentioned were written by Stephen King?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:32 AM

Re: Movies, movies, movies

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
OK, we have a thread for books, a thread for music, an entire forum for cooking, it's about time we had a thread for my favorite subject: movies.

I'm a total moviephile. I have every movie channel our cable system offers, and netflix.com's biggest subscription package. And I wish I had more

I like "thinkers", not "stinkers". Big budgets don't impress me, in fact the worst movie ever made (IMO) was a big-budget summer smash.
Was it Godzilla? or Armagedin?
Some of my current favorites are "Magnolia", "American Beauty", "Pay it Forward", and "As Good as it Gets".
I took my son to that one, we were sitting in the back so we could see everyones reactions, and no one laughed more than we two. We were laughing so loud, no Sitcom ever made me laugh that much. The dog down the laundry shoot, classic.

Some of my classic favorites are "The Stunt Man" and "Once Upon a Time in the West". Of course these just came to me as I typed this, I have thousands of favorites.

I'll watch about any genre, but my favorite favorites usually have an ambiguous touch of magic.

So, what are your favorites? (and of course, "why?")
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OhThatGirl2001
I have to say - Hearts In Atlantis is my new favorite movie. Who would have guessed Steven King could write such a touching story!

Lisa
I see too many films. I saw that and can't remember it, though I know it was good.
Anyone see Stand by Me? King wrote that too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
I'm with DJ on the Lord of the Rings! I have waited for that since I was a little kid.

Other science fiction movies I love - Metropolis, Things To Come, 2001, Blade Runner, Brazil.

1st two classic. 2001, I took off work and went to Hollywood to see it in '68 on grass, blew my mind completely.
Brazil, very cool/weird.

Jerry mentioned The Outlaw Josie Wales ... I have not seen that, but I love the ""spaghetti westerns" Eastwood did- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars... I love the off kilter style and Ennio Morricone's music.

just remembered another movie I saw recently, Das Boot. VERY tense movie about a German U-boat crew during WW2
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakaleena
I have a few favorites -

The Magnificent Seven
Sommersby
Of Mice and Men (with Gary Sinise & John Malkovich)

(If you've ever seen them, you could probably guess why).

And Rancho Deluxe (Jeff Bridges/Sam Waterston) for no other reason than it made me roll on the floor laffin'
You know, don't you, that Jeff is one of the forgotten by the academy, best actors alive don't you. Watch his performance in Star Man, he transforms himself.
greg
who loves movies more than anyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:51 AM

I was aware that Stephen King was the author of the Shawshank Redemption but only made the connection with the Green Mile a few weeks ago. Film makers rarely make good interpretations of books but they suceeded in this case. The best adaptation of a book for film that I've seen is 'Day of the Jackal' Frederick Forsythe's novel about the attempted assassination of De Gaulle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
I saw two movies over the weekend... AI and How to Kill Your Neigbor's Dog, which was good but not great.

Anyone stand in line to see Star Wars last night?
No, but I stood in line for the 2nd StarWars in what? '80?
It was the 2nd time I waited in a big line for a flick, the 1st being The Exorcist. There was a family that had a motorhome, and they would have different people stand in line for a while and then spell them, they had drinks and everything.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 11:07 PM

I like watching many movies..... but some I reach for when I like to enjoy some familar moments.... altho i think this was released a little before I could appeciate it ..

I'll go with AFRICAN QUEEN ... so timely .... anyone who has it but has never seen it's value ... just pay attention to the opening scene as boggie happens to steam in , during an un-harmonized church service in the jungle...

Imagine ... going wherever you pleased on a boat that only required wood for fuel ... and for a time all the gin one man would need to sit out a war..

the two main characters fit me and my lady well I think... and I long ago made this animation of the four of us.. boggie and Kate... pam and I
Attached Images
File Type: gif african queens.gif (66.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by rondon; 06-03-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club