RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

LOTR: The Two Towers

Old 12-18-2002, 06:36 PM

You jumped on that one pretty quick there Greg. You're not one of these "Trekky" types are you?

Yes, it was Smeagol. For some reason, after reading those books in 78 I remembered that name. I kind of grew fond of the slimy little character.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 07:16 PM

...and for 100 extra points - What was the name of Smeagol's cousin...who was the one who actually found the ring while they were fishing?

DJ - I was a big Lord of the Rings geek as a child...still am I guess!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 07:24 PM

Deagol
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM

Good memory DJ! ...1978 is the last time you read it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 08:23 PM

Yes, 78 was pretty much the last time I read it. It's amazing what comes back when you really liked something but I would be hard pressed to answer much more than that I'm afraid.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 10:02 PM

Cool, thanks for posting that Greg, it was a really interesting article.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 10:38 PM

The article says that Gollum was a hobbit. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that is correct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 10:27 AM

Great article, Greg - thanks! This combination of actor/animation will be even more fascinating to watch when I have some idea of the amount of thought and effort incorporated into the creation.

I first read the trilogy in 1965, and would read parts at times over the years, but need to take the time to return to the world of hobbits and re-read it sometime soon. It is the only story that allows me to enjoy wherever I enter into the story, and the first story where the descriptive text was as fascinating as the dialogue and action scenes.

Over the years, I named a number of my family animals in respect to the books - dogs:Misty Shadows of Lothlorien, Saucy Bandit of Hobbit Hill, Shadow of Hobbit Hill, and the cat (with furry feet) who lived under a tree (until moving in with me) and enjoyed good food - Hobbit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 01:26 PM

"Saucy Bandit"...what a great name CJ!!

Keith - There are several references to Smeagol (Gollum) having been a Hobbit. (I'll have to look them up...probably in the Appendix) I believe he and his cousin belonged to the branch of Hobbits who were the last to migrate to the Shire...they were living on the banks of the Anduin river at the time the ring was found.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 02:49 PM

Found this Biography on Smeagol. Thought it might answer some questions.
DJ

Biography: Smeagol's original name was Trahald, the Anglicized equivalent of which is Smeagol. Smeagol was born in the year 2430 to a fairly prominent family of hobbits of the Stoor strain near the Gladden Fields. In the year 2463, the day of Smeagol's coming of age, he went fishing with his cousin Deagol. While fishing, Deagol saw something glittering under the surface of the water, dove in after it, and came up with a glittering gold ring. Before even knowing the qualities of the beautiful ring, Smeagol's desire to own it overtook him, and he murdered his cousin for it. Smeagol soon developed many undesirable qualities, like stealing, eavesdropping, and being sneaky whenever he had the opportunity. It was these qualities which got him banished from his household. Cursing his bad luck and his family, he eventually made his way to a gloomy den underneath the Misty Mountains. Living in darkness, he grew to hate the light of the sun and moon, but the moon he would tolerate. Smeagol stayed there for many years until he was unexpectedly visited by Bilbo Baggins, who found Smeagol's ring near the water where he had left it accidently. After the "theft" of his "birthday present", Smeagol found the strength to venture out and pursue the Ring. He wandered far and wide until the year 3017, when he was captured by Sauron. This is how Sauron found out about the name of Baggins. Soon after he was captured by Aragorn, who turned him over to Gandalf, but managed to escape during an orc raid, immediately setting off in search of the Ring. He managed to catch up with Frodo and the Fellowship near the West Gate of Moria, following them through, and betraying them to the orcs. Following them through Moria and Lorien, Smeagol was captured by Frodo and Sam near Emyn Muil, after which he faithfully led the pair to Cirith Ungol, and seemed to be changing his ways. In Cirith Ungol though he revealed his true nature, betraying Frodo and Sam to Shelob with the intention of finding the Ring in their discarded clothing. His plan did not work out as intended, and he had to set out after the Ring once more. He caught up with Frodo and Sam at the foot of Mount Doom, where he was cast down by Frodo, and stayed by Samwise out of pity. Frodo was eventually overcome by the power of the Ring at the edge of the Cracks of Doom, where once again he was accosted by Smeagol, wrestling for the Ring. In the struffle he managed to bite off Frodo's Ring finger and recovered the One Ring. In a dance of mirth and excitement, he lost himself and fell into the Cracks of Doom, thus fulfilling the quest.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club