RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Movie Club Talk about movies, movie-related stuff, or even post your own reviews

Any Matrix fans around here?

Old 05-13-2003, 12:26 AM

oh man, I'm SOOOOO jealous!!!! I can't wait for the 15th to roll around (although I'm busy all day so I won't be able to go until saturday, but NOTHING is going to stop me from going then!!) I've watched all the trailers on the website and seen some things on TV about the effects and I can't wait to see it all, the music is really good too, I've been listening to the soundtrack, there's some really great stuff from some of the artists that did the score and various other things on the first one (i.e. Don Davis, Rob Dougan)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 10:44 PM

Well, I just got back from the preview screening...Surprisingly, there were some empty seats which is odd since they deliberately overbook! As for the movie...I think if you enjoyed the first one you will enjoy the sequel, but it probably will not seem as innovative this time around. It's basically more of the same with better effects.

The action scenes are very good but in between you get endless dialogue that basically says nothing and does not do much for the plot...at times you just beg for someone to show up who does not speak like they are reading from greek mythology...you get pretty tired of hearing about "Oracles, Prophecies and Chosen Ones". Unlike the first movie, I did not feel like the plot held the movie together...it was more like an excuse just to get to the next action scene. The action is breathtaking and there are some scenes that really are amazing...especially the ones where they are fighting on a busy freeway...it just feels a bit empty compared to the first movie. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 6.5...entertaining but not as good as the first one.

I'm not sure if the final theatrical release will have this but at the end of the credits there is a preview for the third movie, so you might want to sit through to the end. Another note...if you know who Cornell West is, watch for his cameo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 12:00 AM

interesting, thanks for the review Greg! I'll watch for the Cornel West Cameo, I found this quote about it:
Quote:
Cornel West will appear in The Matrix sequels, playing a Zion Elder called Counselor West. He was invited by Larry and Andy Wachowski, the movies' writer-director team, who'd read West's philosophical writings and wanted to incorporate him into the script.
on this website here
It doesn't really surprise me that the dialigue is kind of weak, sequels to surprise hits like the Matrix never seem to be as good as the original. But heck, I'm just a big fan of good action so as long as the action seens are impressively done and effective then then I'll be a satisfied viewer! The freeway scene is one I'm definitely looking forward to, aparently they actually built a freeway way out somewhere in the back country of Australia specifically for this, so I'm sure that's where a sizable chunk of the budget went. But still, no matter how much they spend on special effects etc, I don't think they'll be able to equal what they pulled off for the first one, it's amazing, I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times and each time I notice new details and things, it really was a great movie.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal
... But still, no matter how much they spend on special effects etc, I don't think they'll be able to equal what they pulled off for the first one, it's amazing, I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times and each time I notice new details and things, it really was a great movie.
I only saw the first one once...(on TV no less!) ...but if I were to judge the movie purely on effects I would say it out does the first one. Of course, the fact that it was a huge screen with stadium seating and THX sound, may have influenced my view a bit!

I had no idea they actually built a freeway! Those scenes had to be some of the most complex ever filmed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 09:13 PM

The waitin's over - it premiere's tonite.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
I had no idea they actually built a freeway! Those scenes had to be some of the most complex ever filmed.
from what I've seen on the previews it looks pretty stunning, I'm excited to get the DVD and I really hope they have a good amount of behind the scenes footage for that stuff, it'd be really interesting to see how they pulled it all off.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Movie Club