Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Jaykita's watercolor technigue

Old 11-05-2005, 05:44 AM
Here is my try using jaykita's technique.

Followed steps as given with exception that I omitted the steps calling for Virtual Painter.

At the last step calling for Selective Color reduction of white by -29, I also adjusted the other colors to give more intensity and snap. This is technique is borrowed from Trimoon's watercolor tutorial. I also ajusted the saturation a little more because my original was a little flat. This really gave the color in the image some pop.

To adjust the colors using Selective Color, I did this. There are no rules, just your eyeballs and sense of judgement.

Have full image visible. I usually go one step below Fit image to window. You do not want to see detail but rather get an overall impression of how the color change effects the whole picture.

Open Selective Color. I usually use an adjustment layer in case I want to change my mind. After I am satisfied, I merge it with the base image.

Start with red. Move the dialog so that it is not covering the picture. With the black slider, slide it to the left and then to the right without looking at the slider. You may be suprised at how much you move the slider to get a good effect. Your attention should be on the picture. Make big changes to start until you see a sweet point that looks good. Then refine by making smaller adjustments. You might not see any change at all if the picture has no or little red in it. In that case move on to the next color.

When the black looks good for the red then go to the cyan slider for red and repeat the process. This will make the reds more red or less red. The key is to observe the picture and to see if any change there helps. Then move to the magenta and try that. And then the yellow. Now go back to the black and try new adjustments on that because the other sliders may have altered its original effect. Same with other sliders. This tweaking may not be necessary if you like what you see in the first pass. Just play with it until you see the reds you want.

When done with red, move on and repeat the process with the other colors including white, neutral, and black. Some colors you may change quite a bit while others are left unchanged.

This process is like mixing colors on a pallet. You start with your red, add a little black or white to lighten or darken. Adjust the hue by adding your magentas and yellows and you have a new red. Note that Selective Color is only altering the reds in the picture, in this case. The other colors are unaffected.

I made some pretty radical chages for this image which before this step was dull and flat. The yellows, blues and greens were greatly modified/intensified. This is different than Hue/Saturation which should also be done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SO-03-07-04-016-jaykita-bas.jpg (93.6 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Larry, great photo and painterly results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Bert and Larry, both excellent results! Bert, very nice work with the impressionist filter!

My technique was shown using one particular image, but of course all images are different from each other in saturation and tonal quality, and obviously some improvisation may be necessary, for eg. Larry's image adjustments - selective color. (nicely explained too!) Also increasing saturation is very important for watercolors are mostly highly saturated paintings.
You have both done a great job with your respective images. I'm very impressed!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Oops! Bert, I didn't see your painting up there. That's soooo beautiful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by bert de wolff
oh and meanwhile i did find the thread containing the imp watercolor A+B settings
off to rework again

See post #11 in this thread...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials