RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Channels

Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 PM

Channels

How about someone posting a beginning tutorial on Channels. Something we can try, maybe post a picture with it and some steps for us to try!!! Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 11:25 PM

Humm..did I say something wrong?? Why no reply??
Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 AM

Neb,

I'm with you, I'm clueless when it comes to channels and would love a tutorial. However, I can only imagine how much work it is to create one.

I'm always extremely grateful for those who take the time and share their expertise with us all.

Maybe someday.

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:15 AM

Neb, you didn't say anything wrong -- the use of channels for making changes to images can be confusing, and there is a wide range of topics that can be included in any discussion of channels -- can you list some specific questions that you have about channels?

Basically, they are simply part of the image. (Click on links) http://www.extropia.com/tutorials/ph..._channels.html
http://www.sketchpad.net/channels1.htm

Channels can be used to save selections for further work, can be replaced or improved to change and/or enhance an image, used in creating masks...
There are separate tutorials on each of their uses rather than one BIG tutorial on "Channels". That makes it more confusing (and time consuming) to learn about the "magic" they can help create, but the effort is rewarding. You're already using channels when you make corrections using Levels and or Curves, and may have saved selections as alpha channels.

Here are some tutorials to start with -- from RetouchPRO and other websites

Replacing a Color Channel -- Jakaleena - RetouchPRO
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=23

Replacing a defective channel --
http://webdesign.templatemonster.com...annel.136.html

Channels and selections
http://art.sdsu.edu/geninfo/homepage...phics/mask.htm

Photoshop and PSP Channels: What, When and Why?
http://tinyurl.com/agtc7

(originally-- http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...%2Fcolumn41%2F

Color Correction by the numbers -- by Julieanne Kost
http://www.adobeevangelists.com/pdfs...tByNumbers.pdf

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 08-17-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:22 AM

Hi annabelle:
I am pleased you posted back . I guess I might expect too much from people on the forum. Most have gone over and above and beyond!! I probably do not say thank you enough to those who have done so!!

I do not have a clue about channels , or how much work it would be to make up a tutorial. I am on the other side of the fence for learning. I get sad and frustrated when I see people doing such wonderful work on restoration of pictures. I do not want to do anything but be able to restore old pictures for family friends and others in the future. I thought my work was nice until I came here. then all my confidence went down the ..well just look at DUV graphic..lol that is what happened to me after seeing what people do with photoshop. Right now I feel I have wasted my money in the program. Some might say READ, well I have a small learning disability and hate to read and just do n ot learn that way..tuts and hands on for me.

So to all of you kind and wonderful folks who have helped and I forgot to say thanks ...THANKS!! And thanks again annabel for reminding me of all the great help given. Love Neb

PS: FLORA , I HAVE BEEN MISSING YOU . WHERE ARE YOU ??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:29 AM

Neb,

Do you know what you want to learn about channels? Take a look at the tutorials in my post (I don't think you saw it before your last post) and see if any of them help you or help point to what it is that you want to learn.

Don't worry about comparing your work to others here -- lots of us found that we didn't know as much as we thought we did before we came here -- but we all learned a lot more from everyone since we joined!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:29 PM

Neb,

I didn't mean to suggest that you aren't grateful. I'm just continually impressed with everything there is to gain from this site and peoples willingness to help and wanted to express my thanks.

I, like you, am astounded at the expertise and knowledge people here have and sometimes don't think I can learn it all. I only wish I could offer more help to others.

I guess all we can do is keep trying to absorb and learn.

CJ,

Thanks for the links, all good information. Really appreciate it.

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieanne
...I guess all we can do is keep trying to absorb and learn.
Annabel

Annabell, that's what most of us are doing -- there's always something more to learn. You have already provided a fresh eye to images that others have worked on, a beautiful image of your backyard for us to practice on, and encouragement to others -- I'm sure you'll continue to be even more helpful as you add to your box of skills.

I hope that the links I listed will help you and/or Neb, but if there are specific questions that you have -- be sure to ask! (I know, sometimes it's hard figuring out what to ask when the subject is new to us.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM

CJ,

Thanks for your generous words and help. I need to find the time and the brain cells to study the links you posted.

I only hope that someday I can offer help/advice/comments with the confidence that I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again,
Annabel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials