RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Skin Red Blemish Removal

Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Post Skin Red Blemish Removal

Using Photoshop 7

This technique is useful for removal of red skin blemishes. It does not remove blemishes of other colors. If you try traditional healing or cloning on the red blemishes, the blemish is removed but the blemish often turns into a red area which is time consuming to blend. This method removes the blemish and the red cast in one step while keeping the skin texture. After this technique is used, the healing or cloning brush should be used to remove blemishes that were not red and not removed by this technique. [details]
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 12:35 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this valuable technique, leuallen. I learned a lot I didn't know about the healing brush from your clear explanations.

In the specific case of your grandmother, some of the redness aside of the spots may also be a medication side-effect. In that case, it may be simpler to put the red channel skin on a luminosity layer and adjust the gamma. I append an example (I didn't correct the shine to keep this simple).

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0001-panpan.jpg (98.9 KB, 129 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 12:39 PM

Me too leuallen as I get such unpredictable results and am sure it is to do with direction/radius and numerous other facets, so only use for 1-3px fixes and still avoid
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM

Panpan,

What do mean by adjust the gamma? Exact steps, I want to try it.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 PM

OK, I am not sure what you were trying to do for her picture. I decided to try the mask tutorial that vicki posted. I had no idea if it would work to take some of the red spots out , but it did . It seemed to smooth out her face color. You must forgive me if this is not what you all were trying to do. I am just trying to learn little things and decided to work on your grandma , she has a wonderful smile about her. Thanks Neb
Attached Images
File Type: psd grannylady copy2.psd (95.9 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 PM

RE Post...
Sorry, hope this is better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grannyladycopy3copy.jpg (30.6 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen
Panpan,

What do mean by adjust the gamma? Exact steps, I want to try it.

Larry
I mean the middle slider in the levels window. I used it to adjust the curve to match the luminosity around the selection.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 10:21 AM

Nebgranny,

Hey its my MOM! Guess I am an old fart.

I was simply removing the red blemishes. This technique does it very well. As a bonus it removes areas of red discolorization. Of course there are other methods which may be used, but I find this one to be quite easy. Note that this method almost completely removes the big red blemish on her chin. The other methods I've seen leave traces. Besides some of the other methods are global and may effect areas of the image I don't want touched. With this method I choose were the corrections are taking place.

Maybe I went on too long about about correcting for healing brush color bleed and that confused some of you. If you are going to work in an area where you don't run into this problem, you could skip this step. On the other hand, this is a very useful technique for other situations. I talked about color bleed but there is also density bleed where the contrast areas are of density rather than color. I have not tried this yet but I imagine that by setting the mode to Luminosity you could correct for that.

Larry

Ps Thankd Panpan. Got it. Don't use Levels much but know what to do with curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 AM

Leuallan, great stuff there, wonderful there are so many ways to skin a cat
.....metaphorically speaking of course
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 02:44 PM

So sorry , I thought I read grand mother. I apologize. I also want to say I am sorry for posting my results with another method!! I did not mean to overlook all of your hard work , but it just seemed long for me to read and do so thought I would try using Viki's mask tutorial. I did not mean to be rude seeming to disreguard your tutorial. Please forgive me. I was excited to see the results when using the other method. Please excuse me if I seemed rude, I wish to assure you I am not that kind of person!! I am even worse LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials